15 June 2009

Oh my god, sweating!

I cannot hear or think of the statement above without seeing my friend Emily trudging into the Murphy Hall auditorium for one of our Journalism classes. She's unwinding her scarf from her around her neck, unzipping her coat to reveal her snow pants and fanning her face as she says, "Sweating!"

Something has happened to me since I turned 35. Well, it seemed to start a bit before the actual birthday, but it was close. I have turned into a sweaty fucking bitch. Maybe it's that I'm working harder at the gym than I used to. Or maybe there's something in my old-ass body chemistry that's changed. But dammit, do I fucking sweat when I'm at the gym.

I routinely come home from yoga (okay, I do a good half hour of hard cardio before) with my hair soaking wet. Like, I have to blow dry it after my shower; but I don't get my hair wet in the shower.

This had put a crimp in my plan to move toward going no 'poo. When my head is so gross and sweaty five, six, seven days a week, how can I shampoo less? But my hair was dry this winter, so I gave it a shot anyway.

The last time I got my hair done, I was telling The Stylist about my mission to put an extra day between hair washes. And I finally broke down and told someone about the whole sweaty head phenomenon. She's experiencing the same thing -- and our birthdays are about a month apart. The thing about her is, though, she never used to sweat. It was odd. In high school, I played sports with her, we lifeguarded together and nothing. Not a drop of sweat. Now, she says she sweats like she spent an hour in spin class when she does anything remotely exercise-related. We figure it has to be something about getting older. What else could it be?

Man, getting old sucks. But on the other hand, I really feel like I'm doing something at the gym. The fact that my tight jeans are falling off my ass really helps, too. I'm bummed that I will have to buy new work pants and jeans soon, but what are you gonna do?

Incidentally, the move toward no 'poo is going pretty well. I'm not at the washing-with-baking-soda-and-conditioning-with-vinegar-phase or anything, but I only wash my hair twice a week. My hair is not at all dry and it's very soft. It only took a couple of weeks for me to figure out the products that work and after that time, I've not had a problem with an itchy scalp or my hair smelling dirty. I guess it's no wonder that my hair is being fondled by random drunks.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Ha!!!! Welcome to world of sweating! It's terrible. I'd suggest carrying around a travel size deoderant everywhere you go. People tease me about this, but it comes in very handy. God, I remember that Murphy Hall incident like it was yesterday! :-)

Jess said...

The weird thing is, I'm not overly sweaty in the pits or anything. It's the head sweating that's totally new.

Oh, this makes me miss you.