15 May 2009

What are you doing this weekend?

If you're looking for something to do on Saturday night, Minneapolitans and St. Paulites, might I suggest you head out to see a local rock show? The Slats are playing a show at the Hexagon Bar in Minneapolis.

Okay, so I am friends with the band. But that doesn't make them any less kick-ass. I have a hard time understanding why they've not completely blown up. I've seen them play with former indie darlings Tapes 'n' Tapes as well as current darlings Solid Gold. And The Slats smoked both.

To be fair, I apparently didn't even realize I'd seen Tapes 'n' Tapes several times when they started blowing up. Maybe I was drunk. Okay, probably I was drunk. Fine, I was assuredly drunk. But I generally don't forget entire bands for Christ's sake. Then I finally saw them on Letterman and nearly fell asleep. That would explain why I never remembered them. I gave them another chance, though. Two years ago at the Taste of Minnesota -- I gave them two whole songs to get me to stay and watch them after Morris Day and The motherfucking Time finished up. Yeah, you just can't follow The Time.

Now, I do recall seeing Solid Gold. They and The Slats opened for Silversun Pickups at the Entry ... probably almost two years ago now. I specifically recall saying to my friend while they were on, "These guys are a good soundtrack for the drinking and chatting we're doing right now. They're good background music." And here they are playing Rock the Garden. Go figure.

Incidentally, Solid Gold is playing the return of the Lyn Lake Street Festival on Sunday. Is it block party season already? I damn well better find someone to go with me. How can I not go to a block party up the fucking street? How, I ask you?

Anyway, if you're looking for something to do tomorrow night, come to The Slats show. I'll be the drunk bitch in the "I heart dirty rocker boys" t-shirt.

No comments: