10 May 2009

Things forgotten.

My mom had a copy of The Joy of Cooking for me when I came home today. It's Mother's Day and I get presents? Score! I also got fresh asparagus, rhubarb that I picked myself and a buttload of meat from a freshly-butchered hog. But no bacon.

Oh, why does it take so long to smoke the bacon so it's bacon? How do my parents run out? I mean, it can't possibly have anything to do with me taking a package or two every chance I get to keep a good stock in my freezer. And to give to The Boy I Currently Like (especially if he cooks it for me for breakfast). And to give as gifts to bribe people to like me. It's not like my sparkling wit and personality are winning me friends or anything.

But back to The Joy of Cooking. As I was perusing it, I came to the good-sized chunk of drink recipes in the front. In the gin section, there was a recipe for the gimlet. I've not had a gin gimlet for ages. So I made myself one. How did such a wonderful concoction of ginny, limey goodness escape my memory for so long? How? God, it's so good.

I'm a little ashamed of myself, but I believe gimlets might be my Jameson-and-ginger-ale of 2009.

6 comments:

Comrade E.B. Misfit said...

To hell with gin, why not drink bacon vodka?

Jess said...

I still don't know what I think of bacon vodka. Emily had a not-so-great experience with it.

Also, I'm not entirely sure I want to waste bacon on vodka when I could totally be eating it.

Conner said...

You just received the greatest cookbook ever. It's my bible, I don't own another cookbook and honestly don't see the need. Between the web and the Joy of Cooking I can make almost anything.

Jess said...

Yeah, it's really the only cookbook I have. I mean, I have the one I'm compiling of my own recipes, but that doesn't really count.

I can't wait to really sit down and tear into it when I have some time.

Emily said...

Why can't bacon just instantly come from the pig? I don't have that kind of patience.

Jess said...

No shit. Why isn't Science genetically engineering a self-smoking hog?

WHERE ARE MY TAX DOLLARS GOING?