26 May 2009

Okay, I get why I'm invited.

Blergh. I got an invitation tonight on Facebook to my hometown's summer festival that is coming up in a couple of weeks. Can't you people just leave me alone? You're not even having my high school choir director's band play at the beer tent? No fucking thank you.

I was perusing the invitation list and I'll admit, I was tickled to see a handful of friends from high school who I'd not seen in years and I kinda miss. However, I apparently don't miss them enough to attempt any sort of correspondence. Sure, I'll accept if they send me a friend request, but I'm not the kind of girl who ... you know, sends friend requests, I guess.

Some of the people on the list were people I knew well -- The Stylist, my brother, Best Friend Ever and her brother. There were plenty of names I kind of recognized. But why the fuck was Brock Lesnar on the list? I probably would have remembered if he was from Janesville.

Oddly enough, my mom asked today if I was coming home for Hay Daze. She said, "There should probably be room Saturday nite anyway if you wanted to bring a friend." Wait. What does that mean? Don't you remember the disaster when I brought the World's Worst Wing Woman? Did someone tell her about The Boy I Currently Like? Except no one really knows. Save for a couple of my aunts, and I was really vague with them.

This past fall, mom had asked if my sister and I were in relationships. My cousin's wife apparently told her that we both were and at least one of our situations was "pretty serious." Huh? I was able to be totally honest about my sister -- I didn't know shit. As for me? I just avoided answering the question at all. When I asked my sister later, she was equally perplexed. Apparently she had briefly been seeing someone over the summer, but it was never serious. I guess I wasn't exaggerating too much to say my cousin's wife was making shit up.

The less my family knows about my love life, the better. I dance around the subject if it comes up, but I don't want to lie. Why? Who knows. But I'm worried mom might ask again while we're in Portland. I've actually been dreading it since we booked the tickets. God, I don't know why I get uncomfortable and embarrassed talking about this kind of stuff with my family. Clearly, I don't give a shit about many random strangers on the Interwebs knowing entirely too much about my love life. Then again, y'all aren't going to ask "When do we get to meet him?"

No comments: