25 May 2009

Crisis averted, but for how long?

Saturday night, I went over to hang out with The Boy I Currently Like. "Pffft. Big deal," you say. And maybe that's true for most people, but because I am a huge dork, it was kind of a big deal.

The Boy got the idea a couple of weeks ago to invite me over early in the evening on a weekend night, so we could hang out before we got to the sleeping over part. Again, not a big deal for normal people, but we're not exactly the most normal people having what most consider to be a normal relationship. Whatever.

With the extra weekend day, we finally got around to doing it this week. When he first suggested he mentioned that he would probably do some of the normal things he'd do hanging out by himself on the weekend -- updating his video games and whatnot. I might have to entertain myself for a little while.

He also said, "Maybe I'll blog a little (maybe you'll blog a little)." Being the dork that I am, this set off sirens and red flags in my mind. I never thought I'd end up being part of one of those blogging couples. Just couldn't see it. But here he was, nonchalantly mentioning doing that very thing. At least we wouldn't be blogging simultaneously? I'd have to take my laptop to his place for that to happen.

Either way, he ended up entertaining me all night. We had some drinks, watched the Twins and some basketball and some SNL and some stand-up. We played video games. He didn't do anything but briefly check his e-mail. Whew! However, if we keep doing this, we will get to the point where it doesn't feel like a big deal date night. I can see the day coming where you'll be reading a blog post where I'm saying "The Boy I Currently Like and I are blogging at the same time, in the same room. We are such fucking nerds." And I will shake my head and wonder how the hell I ended up here.

It was supposed to be not a big deal; certainly not some big date night. I mean, we've known each other for well more than a year now. You'd think we'd be over that silliness by now. But it wasn't that long ago I mentioned to him that for some reason, when he came to my house, it felt like a date, which made it a big deal, which made me a wee bit nervous. Turned out, he felt the same way. I was telling this to the World's Worst Wing Woman last night and she just gushed over how cute it is.

So wouldn't you know it, I started feeling a little nervous Saturday afternoon. OH MY GOD. WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH ME? I'm so ridiculously lame. But I noticed when I showed up that The Boy was dressed far more nicely than I would have expected. He wasn't stinky, either. (Yeah, like all boys, he gets kinda stinky sometimes. For whatever reason, his manly funk appeals to me, so I noticed it was missing.) Those things didn't help it feel any less like a big deal. Nor did my taking a little extra care with my makeup and outfit, either. Christ.

At the end of the day, though, we had an awesome time. However, I really expected us to go to bed earlier than we did. With me showing up at 8:00 instead of 3:00 or 4:00 in the morning, you'd think we could get to sleep before, say, 5:00 a.m., right? Yeah, we thought so, too. Turns out we were wrong.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

I feel like you and Emily should discuss being in a blogging couple.

Jess said...

I'm fairly surprised I actually wrote that I was in a couple at all.

Emily said...

Yes Stephanie, I AM one of those dorks. It happens. I'm just going to own it.

Jess said...

*gasp* Does Stephanie tease you for being in a blogging couple, Emily?

The bright side of adding another bullet to the list of reasons I'm a huge dork is that if I hadn't met The Boy I Currently Like through my blog (his blog? our blogs?), I might still be picking up when Booty Call Matt rang in the wee hours. *shudder*