21 April 2009

Why do I even bother?

A week or so ago, I was contemplating having a beer tasting party. I decided to float the idea to my core group of friends. I sent an e-mail asking what they thought of the idea. I asked that they respond and let me know what they thought. And I asked them if one proposed date would work better than another.

It's been a week and I've gotten three responses. Three. Out of 11. That's a fairly piss-poor response rate -- especially when I'm surveying my friends. It's not like I'm conducting a telephone survey or shilling for charity, for fuck's sake. I know people are busy, but I make an effort to respond if I get an invitation for something. People are trying to plan shit and I don't want to be the asshole fucking shit up.

Not that this is anything new. These friends routinely won't let me know they're coming to a party and then show up. Or maybe they tell someone else they're going to show up and I get an hour notice instead of no notice at all. Obviously, I just have to deal with it. But dammit, sometimes a girl gets frustrated.

Since I've got all of two people saying they're interested (okay, four, but one was an "I'll show up for a bit," and the other can't make it the date I was planning on having it), I might not even bother. Not that I don't want to hang out with Sarah and Idris -- especially if they're willing to get a babysitter. But what fun is a beer tasting party with three people?

God dammit.

13 comments:

How Does She Do It? said...

You just know "Because Emily Says So" and I would be all over that shit.

Jess said...

All I need are e-mails, dude.

(I was actually just going to go searching for them, as it turns out.)

my name is Amanda said...

This isn't very helpful, BUT, incidentally, one of my friends did one of these parties - everyone bring a different, tasty beer to share - and it was fun! Plus, the occasion was his birthday; that added some extra incentive/obligation. :) Good luck!

Doniree said...

I would so show up for that.

Little Ms Blogger said...

Do it. What the hell. Have each person bring a 6 pack of round the world beers and catch up.

If your friends are willing to get babysitters, how often do you get to really spend time with them and just catch up?

People are horrible about R.S.V.Ps, not sure why, (I was tracking down people last fall on my wedding invite), but it sucks.

Jess said...

Yeah, I've decided I'm going to do it. Since I'm inviting Stephanie and Emily (and Doniree? and Amanda?), perhaps I'll make it some sort of local blogger thing.

Or, you know, just random readers who show up and say, "Hey, I'll come." E-mail me, fuckers. This is your chance to find out where I live so you can stalk me.

jana said...

Speaking from experience, sittin' around drinking tasty brews with sarah and idrisarslanian makes a helluva good night. Especially if there is homebrew involved.

Jess said...

Oh, I know. I just didn't want to throw a lame-ass party if they were going to the trouble of getting a babysitter. I mean, that's a big deal.

(Sorry you can't make it. Stupid law school!)

Emily said...

This is the problem with being such a "planner." I have the same problem and it drives me nuts! I am currently throwing a baby shower for one of my friends and have had to send follow-up e-mails to her work friends to see if they are coming. And the invite I sent out CLEARLY asked for an rsvp. I just don't get it! Enjoy your beer party. Wish I was up there - I'd be in fo' sho!

Jen said...

I would so be there if I didn't live almost 1000 miles away. But hey, if I am forced to take a furlough from my job, I may show up at your doorstep sometime in the future. You have been warned!

Jess said...

I do suppose it's partly my fault for being the planner type, Em. I do love flying by the seat of my pants on occasion, but dammit, sometimes it's nice to have time to think about things and get organized. IS THAT SO WRONG?

Jen, I would totally show up at the airport to pick you up if you gave me a little notice.

Garwood B. Jones said...

I know this is woefully late but I can think of all kinds of ways that a beer tasting party with three ladies could be fun.

Of course I'm a planner and a pervert so that might be having an influence.

Jess said...

It turned out to be more than three ladies (I use that term very loosely when referring to myself, but everyone else wore like, cute shoes and shit, so they're totally ladies), but it was all kinds of fun.

Too bad you had a wedding reception to attend that night, Garwood.