10 April 2009

Surely, this is a sign of the end times.

Twittering the passion: NYC church plans performance of Christ story in 140-character tweets

In a marriage of Christian tradition and digital technology, Wall Street's Trinity Church is using the micro-blogging service Twitter to perform the story of Jesus Christ.

The main characters will tweet the Passion play for three hours beginning at noon on Good Friday. The feed also can be delivered to mobile devices or e-mail addresses.

Words kind of fail me here. Look, either you have time to go to church on Good Friday or not. Are there people who will be sitting at work, following the Passion on Twitter? Or sitting somewhere else? The bar, perhaps?

I just don't understand the point of this at all. And some of the passages are rather long ... more than 140 characters for sure. Will there be text-speak used? "OMG 4give thm 4 they no not wht they do."

Also on the subject of weird church-and-modern-life intersections, I had the Twins game on while driving home from the gym on Tuesday night and a commercial came on equating Peter's three-time denial of Jesus before his Crucifixion with a strikeout. Fuck off, Wooddale Church. Please keep your "saved minutes" away from my baseball. That kind of shit is best left to the wee hours.

As a kid, I hated Easter week with a passion. (Ha! Passion!) Not only did I have to go to Mass three days in a row, but it was SO LONG. And the incense would send me into asthmatic fits. Or, you know, it did once or twice and then any time there was an excruciatingly long Mass featuring incense, I would develop a coughing and wheezing fit and have to leave to get fresh air. At least we didn't go to Mass on Easter. Oh no, we went Saturday night, at like 8:00 to Easter Vigil. Hey, let's fuck off our entire Saturday night at church! Awesome.

Now, I avoid going home if I can help it at all. Unfortunately, however, I'm not absolved from familial responsibility entirely. Sunday morning, I get to rise early and head to Rochester for Mass at Assisi Heights and lunch with the nuns afterward at the Mother House. At least they have wine. Or they did the last time we did Easter with The Nun a couple of years ago. Who doesn't want to knock back a couple with the Brides of Christ?

There's still a chance for a reprieve. The nuns are old and infirm. If what I've got brewing in my sinuses and lungs is a cold and not allergies, I might be off the hook. Cross your fingers for me!

3 comments:

Umbrella said...

For some reason, this reminds me of the South Park episode where the kids doing the Stations of the Cross.

Bill Roehl said...

Holidays are so much better for me as an adult because I don't go to church yet I get all the benefits.

The Dear Baby Jesus hates me for it too I'm sure.

Jess said...

Hmmmm ... I don't know. I like to think the Dear Baby Jesus wants us to be happy, so he's probably okay with it.

I can see that, Umbrella. Was there something in the story about some church blogging or YouTubing the Stations of the Cross somewhere? It seems like I read about that recently. But I could be making it up.

Honestly, if I'm not supposed to be surfing the Interwebs on my phone while I'm attending Mass, no one should be Twittering the Passion. You can't have it both ways, Churchy!