13 April 2009

Sometimes I wonder.

While I was walking around Lake Calhoun yesterday, I was craving a beer. I've been craving beer for about a week. I had a delightful home-brewed kolsch at Fry-a-thon '09. When I got to The Boy I Currently Like's place on Thursday, I told him I was craving a beer (despite the fact that I'd been at Happy Hour the night before) and he had a lovely Grain Belt in his fridge that hit the spot. Tonight, I had a couple of Summit EPAs at Happy Hour. I can't remember the last time I drank this much beer in a week.

Maybe it's the weather? I really don't know. When I embarked on the mission to be a better Jess a couple of years ago, I gave up beer. Now, I didn't give it up entirely. But I drink much, much less beer than I did a couple of years ago. Red wine is my go-to drink these days. And if I'm feeling fancy? It's liquor. However, if I'm having dinner with the fam after one of my nephew's sporting events or something like that, I'll have a beer. Whatever is going on, it's been a long time since I've craved beer.

I was thinking on my walk while I was craving a beer, that I would e-mail my friends when I returned home to see if anyone wanted to go to Arborfest. A few of us went a couple of years ago and it was a blast. (The Boy and I were actually supposed to meet there. Oh shit. I almost linked to something here that would have totally given away his identity. To those that didn't already know, I guess. Good thing I caught it before I posted. Anyway, I'm glad it didn't work out for us to meet that day. I wasn't ready.)

My attempts last year at getting people to go to Arborfest were borderline epic fail, as are many of the events I plan. So, that's a reason for me not to suggest Arborfest. Besides, I'm not sure I can really afford it.

So, I'm walking and thinking and inspiration strikes! I know I'm not the only one who probably can't really afford it. But what if we have our own beer festival? What if I have a party and everyone brings a new beer or a selection of new beers (some old favorites/stand-bys, too) and we all try them? That would be so much cheaper (though, wouldn't get a sweet souvenir glass and be giving money to the Family Tree Clinic ...) and we wouldn't have to deal with crowds (also, we wouldn't have to go to St. Paul. [Just kidding. I heart St. Paul!]).

It seemed like a good idea at the time. However (and I've said this before), trying to get my friends to do something is often like herding cats. I just don't know if I should bother suggesting it. Writing it out and explaining it seemed like it might help me to decide, but it doesn't seem to have swayed me in either direction.

Maybe it's just that Spring's arrival (finally!) is making me think crazy thoughts.

4 comments:

Little Ms Blogger said...

You should definitely do it! A beer tasting, everyone brings a six pack and $10 for a charity of your choice (or no charity and just the beer and a glass)...

What a great way to kick off Spring.

Jess said...

Ooooh, an interesting twist. I like it!

Maybe I should float the idea ...

Idris_Arslanian said...

Wife and I are in if you'll have us! We'll even get a babysitter to avoid the midparty Alice meltdown. Not sure where I'll find an interesting beer though... :-P

Jess said...

Well, shit. If people actually want to come, how can I not do it?