05 April 2009

I thought I could handle it.

There has been an episode of NewsRadio sitting on my DVR for close to three months. The episode in question is "Bill Moves On." It is, of course, the first episode filmed after Phil Hartman was killed.

After more than 10 years and countless viewings, I still bawl my eyes out every time I watch it. This is why it has been sitting on my DVR for weeks. I just didn't want to end up crying.

For whatever reason, I thought I was ready to watch it today. I was wrong. Maybe it's silly, but it still breaks my heart every time I watch it. It's a goddamn shame.

8 comments:

Mrs Marcos said...

Odd, we had the episode where Santa threatens to kill Bill (Phil Hartman) on the dvr and watched it this morning. I kept thinking "isn't it in bad taste to show this episode?" It is sad. I love the show but it is always in the back of my mind the horrible way he died.

Jess said...

I watched that one last weekend. It never occurred to me it might be in bad taste to show it.

Bitterly Books and I have been discussing The Simpsons episode that took place in NYC and prominently featured the World Trade Center. That one is rarely ever on since September 11. And it's a goddamn shame, because that is an awesome episode.

Daddy Geek Boy said...

I find that listening to Troy McClure makes me a little melancholy.

Jess said...

Lionel Hutz, too. Not to mention Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer and the Anal Retentive Chef.

Bitterly Books said...

I always respected Maura Tierney's way of handling grief in that episode by staying drunk for days on end. I have found it to be remarkably effective.

Jess said...

Yeah, drinking really does help the dealing with grief thing.

Frank said...

I miss Phil Hartman...I used to watch News Radio, and the Simpsons hasn't been the same without him...

Jeffrey Beaumont said...

If Andy Dick ever pulled out all the stops and did something truly good in his life, it was that episode of Newsradio.