03 April 2009

Everything is better when it's deep-fried.

There is a series on the Travel Channel called " ... Paradise." The ellipsis represents any number of things -- steak, pizza, hamburger, hot dog, ice cream. But my favorite is "Deep-Fried Paradise."

It's not the deep-fried bacon that makes it my favorite. Quite frankly, I think that's overkill. I'm sure the taste of the batter obscures the inherent goodness of the bacon. One patron of the place calls it "a heart attack on a plate." You would certainly know what that looks like, fattie.

No, the reason I love it is the guy at Dyer's Burger in Memphis who is trying to describe the taste of a burger fried in nearly 100-year-old grease. No, that's not a typo. The grease is from 1912. Anyway, this dude describes eating one of these burgers as such: "It just explodes. It like, comes in your mouth."

Ummmmm ... are we still talking about burgers? Because that sounds like something else entirely. I'm surprised you can even say that on TV. Also, you're not describing the taste, really. That sounds like more of a sensation. What you're describing sounds like it might taste like brie.

I'd probably be willing to eat that burger deep-fried in grease older than my grandma if they didn't also dip the cheese and bun in the grease. Because really, what isn't good when you deep fry it?

This brings me to the real reason for this post. On Monday, I'm going to Fry-a-thon '09, hosted by Alice's parents (she should have won cutest baby, dammit). I need to bring something to be deep-fried. There are prizes, at stake. I need something good. Something different.

I don't know what I should bring. I need your help, people of the Interwebs. I've got sweet things on the brain. Deep-fried Twinkies have been done. But what about Ho-Hos? Or Ding Dongs? I'm intrigued by the idea of Little Debbie Nutty Bars. But then I saw these mini raspberry donuts at Trader Joe's. Wouldn't that be delightful? Why am I so focused on sweets? Would olives be too small? Everyone fries pickles, but they seem to be pickle chips or slices of a big dill. What about baby dills? Is there some reason those wouldn't work?

What should I bring? Help me, interwebs; you're my only hope.

14 comments:

Daddy Geek Boy said...

Deep fried tootsie roll? Reeses Peanut Butter Cup? Hershey Bar? With Almonds?

Since a donut is fried, might be overkill to fry it again. But maybe a deep fried cookie.

I had a deep fried pop tart at the LA County Fair last year. That was awesome.

I'll keep thinking.

Jess said...

Oooh, Tootsie Rolls are intriuging.

I thought about taking the Mo's Bacon Bar The Boy I Currently Like gave to me recently, but I've been eating that.

What about deep-fried cookie dough?

Daddy Geek Boy said...

Deep fried cookie dough is a great idea.

I truly regret not trying the deep fried tootsie roll at the fair last year. But honestly, I just couldn't find the room.

Jess said...

You could make your own at home!

Along that same vein ... what about deep-fried Rolos?

Why do I only have sweets on the brain? WHY?

Since we're having corn dogs, perhaps some other type of meat product would work. Li'l Smokies? Brats? Andouille?

Daddy Geek Boy said...

I've made deep fried mac and cheese before. It's insanely good. Would go well with corndogs. Let me know if you want the info on that one.

Oh man, Rolos would be awesome. So would a devil dog or something like that. I think the problem with a Ding Dong or Ho Ho is the chocolate coating. The batter wouldn't stick.

Stephanie said...

Deep-friend bleu cheese-stuffed olives, paired with deep-fried Samoas.

Nommm.

Jess said...

Mac and cheese crossed my mind. I made Alton Brown's recipe a few months ago and he makes deep-fried mac and cheese out of the leftovers. It would totally be perfect, because it sets up pretty solidly when it's cold.

Good point about the waxy chocolate coating not holding batter. I would say the same for Stephanie's Samoa, but there's all that coconut to grab onto. I wonder if I can get me ahold of a Girl Scout before Monday ...

Daddy Geek Boy said...

Jess, that Alton Brown recipe is exactly what we did. Though we coated ours in Ritz crackers before deep frying. I can't recall if he did that. It was really, really good.

How about a brownie?

Jess said...

Clearly, you are zoning in on my brainwaves, as I almost threw brownies in with the cookie dough suggestion.

I could make the Nigella's Triple Chocolate Brownies. Those are super fudgy and gooey.

Isn't that mac & cheese fantastic?

Daddy Geek Boy said...

I just want you to know that I was sitting in a meeting thinking about this.

Jess said...

That's really all I can ask for out of life, I think.

Little Ms Blogger said...

How about Oreos?

Mac & Cheese would be good fried.

I've seen that Coke has been fried, but not getting how you could fry soda...

Daddy Geek Boy said...

Little Ms...For fried Coke, they take Coke syrup and add it to the batter and fry it up like a small funnel cake. It has a subtle Coke flavor.

Man, I've eaten a lot of fried food.

Jess said...

I know who my go-to person is for information on fried foods.

I decided on the Nigella brownies. They're ridiculously rich and delicious on their own. I'm not sure deep-frying can add anything to them, but I guess I'll find out.