16 April 2009

Boyz II Men, you must be joking.

A couple of days ago, a friend sent out a message on Facebook asking who wanted to go to the newish Epic (formerly Quest, even more formerly Glam Slam) to see Boyz II Men. Shut. Up. I'm so there! How could I turn down a chance at a nostalgic evening like this? A night at a club where I spent a lot of time in college and just post-college, with some of my college friends, seeing an R&B group that was at their peak of popularity at the same time ... fuck yeah, I'm going.

That all changed when I saw the rest of her message -- standing room, general admission tickets were $30.

Where the fuck do you get off charging $30 for a club show, Boyz II Men? I went to the website to see if there was an opener listed, because, hey -- if I can get two washed up '90s R&B acts for $30, that might be palatable. But there is no opener listed. Also, the $30 tickets are the cheapest. They're also offering $75 seats on the floor and $50 standing VIP tickets. You cannot be fucking serious.

They've had, what, two albums? Oh, excuse me. Amazon says they put out a third album in 1997. Then there's a greatest hits and apparently, in 2007, they did an album of Motown covers. And, if the cover art of that album tells me anything, they're down to three members now.

So, you've not been relevant for more than 10 years, you've had a whopping three original albums and as far as I can tell, you're down to a trio from the original quartet. And you think you can charge $30 minimum for an almost certainly shitty view? To be fair, I am guessing on the shitty view. The Quest was a pretty shitty concert venue -- the sight lines were bad and the sound was always terrible. However, I did see some great shows there over the years -- Gomez, Snow Patrol, Muse, Sonic Youth, BRMC and The Rapture, Queens of the Stoneage and Trail of Dead -- to name a few. I can't imagine they did a ton of remodeling work and replacing the pillars with a giant staircase probably didn't do a whole lot for the sight lines.

Thanks, but no thanks. If it was $10 or $15, I would be there in a heartbeat, just for the nostalgia and people-watching. However, I'm not going to shows I really want to see right now (like Travis tonight), and they all cost less than $30. And I can wear jeans and my beat-up Chucks to those shows (no denying my hipsterness, I guess). Fuck your dress code, Epic.

In declining my friend's invite, however, I managed to keep all of my indignation, bitchiness and hipster music elitism at bay. I'll join the girls for drinks before and skip the show, because I already spent $30 for a ticket to see Neko Case that same weekend. I'm so fucking diplomatic sometimes, it hurts.

4 comments:

Little Ms Blogger said...

Why don't you just dim the lights in your apartment, grab a beer, throw in a CD and stand up while listening to their music for FREE.

They really had 3 CDs? I'm more impressed by that fact.

lily said...

I'm sure Neko Case is going to be WAY better than B2M! :)

my name is Amanda said...

I am so jealous you get to see Neko. I totally missed the boat on that one. (And yeah, f*** $30 B2M tix! WTH?!)

Jess said...

Yeah, I so don't recall that third album. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it on Amazon.

I'll just have to deal with drinks with the girls and seeing Neko Case. Poor me.