04 March 2009

I hope I get some tomacco.

Today, I got an e-mail from Driftless Organics, the farm from which a bunch of us at work purchased Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) shares. Oh, why can't it be June? I'm so excited for my farm-fresh produce.

My excitement might seem a little odd, what with me being a farm girl and all. But I get totally stoked when my mom starts sending e-mails to me and my siblings, telling us what she has available in the garden for us. With my CSA share (actually, it's half a share ... I could neither afford nor possibly eat an entire fucking box of produce every week, so I'm splitting with a coworker), I'm going to get a lot more variety. I'll also start getting produce in June. Mom's garden doesn't start producing until much later.

Of course, this also means that by fall, I'll have tomatoes, cucumbers, beans, carrots, onions, potatoes, cabbage and lettuce out the fucking ass. Not to mention raspberries and apples, which I haven't seen on the CSA list. So, you know, if you're looking for any of that stuff, I'm your girl.

Driftless Organics even has a blog. Ah, young farmers. My dad barely uses the computer.

While I'm entirely too excited about this thing I'm sharing with my coworkers, work is fucking rough. I didn't even think until this week about what would happen to my CSA share if I lose my job. Sure, last week I had the good news that I not only wasn't losing my job, I was getting a bonus. And I managed to stay awfully busy. This week, though, it's back to the closed doors and a sense of anxiety -- or possibly impending doom -- in the air.

Maybe it's just me. I am a bit of a worrier. Okay, I'm a big-time worrier. I'm not terribly busy this week. Well, I am, but I'm doing a lot of internal work and that doesn't count toward my billable time, which is bad. There is a huge project coming up in a couple of weeks that will be nearly all for me. Tons of billable time and relatively easy work. Bonus! And there are other projects on the horizon, but I NEED WORK NOW. It's so hard to focus when I'm constantly worrying, you know?

At least I have some days off coming up -- next Friday and then the first two days of the NCAA tournament. I can't fucking wait.

2 comments:

Little Ms Blogger said...

I can't imagine they would give you a bonus and a week later decide to lay you off.

It sounds as though there is a lot of work for you and you're safe.

I'm looking forward to Springtime to start my garden this year. I have to remove this major tree in my yard which means I'll have a yard that is sunny now.

Jess said...

You'd think that, wouldn't you? But I just feel like I can't let my guard down.

However, I just had my review this morning and my boss freakin' loves me. He consistently scored me higher than I scored myself on most categories and he thinks I'm very valuable and blah blah blah.

Maybe that'll take the edge off.

I was looking forward to outdoors time this summer, but then I remembered my street will be all torn to shit. Dammit.