20 February 2009

They're everywhere!

Before I bought my Malibu three weeks ago, I could have sworn up and down that I'd never really seen one before. I mean, I had an idea what they looked like because my sister has a (gutless) Cutlass, and they're very similar cars. Or the Cutlass went away and the Malibu is its replacement. Something like that.

However, once I decided to get the Malibu, I started seeing them everywhere. There are usually a couple parked on 35th Street that I pass on my way home from work. I noticed those a couple of days before I got my car. Those were the first I really noticed. Like I saw one and said, "Oh, that's what it looks like. Yeah, I think that'll be just fine."

Now that I'm actually driving my car, it's a little ridiculous. There always seems to be another Malibu in the parking lot when I'm at Rainbow. I see them parked on the side of the street and driving along next to me on the interstate. And not once, but twice, this week, I've been third in a line of Malibus sitting at a stoplight. Tuesday on my way to the gym I was behind a white and a silver Malibu on Excelsior. Last night there was a dark green Malibu in front of Barbie and a purple or maroon one ahead of that at the Snelling light while I was heading down Randolph (trying desperately not to sneak a bite of ribs before I got to The Boy's house).

It's weird driving a popular car. There were never a lot of Achievas on the road, but I would occasionally see one the exact same color as mine. It always freaked me out. Not once did I ever see a Beretta identical to mine. Apparently, I had an odd-sized engine compared to all of the other dark gray Berettas on the road. The colored stripe around the car indicated the engine size and I never saw another one just like mine. And the Delta '88? Well, that was a long time ago. But again, I think there were more of another, similar car around on the roads. Though, I occasionally see a Delta and it makes me smile.

And of course, now that I know one Mr. Garwood B. Jones drives a Malibu, I always wonder if he's in one of the many I see on the streets. Well, unless the driver is a lady or an old person, as I'm pretty sure he's neither. Then again, this is the Internet ...

9 comments:

supertoyz said...

I thought I was the only one. Same thing happened when I got my Olds Alero. I never even heard of the thing until I got it. Now, everywhere. And if it's a different color than mine, it just looks weird.

Jess said...

I'd totally forgotten about Aleros until I was reminded that my sister had one briefly. Before she totaled it. That's when she got her Gutless Cutlass.

Those are pretty nice cars.

Diana said...

You're both wrong. Everyone drives a gray Corolla, and they all got them the same day we got ours. :)

Garwood B. Jones said...

Garwood's cars: 69 Cutlass, 73 Omega, 84 Delta 88, 79 Olds 98 (so pimpin'), 87 Grand Am, 91 Silhouette, 95 Eighty Eight LS, 96 Eighty Eight LS, 98 Chevy Malibu.

Evidently we share a common GM history on the day that GM stock hit $1.37 a share - it's lowest price since 1938. Ow.

I often drive slowly and I have a gray beard so it's not out of the question you could mistake me for an old lady. Normally, it's whatever is a little greener and darker than teal though it's hard to tell right now because it's a total salt lick. Honk if you see me and I'll buy you the funniest Malibu based cocktail I was able to look up on the interwebs - the Kermit the Frog Piss (http://www.drinksmixer.com/drink4663.html)

The comment about the drink describes my feelings about my car perfectly.

ps: I'm quite honored to be mentioned by name in a post. [Swoon!]

Jess said...

Ah, the gray Corolla. I almost died in that car the very first night I met the Classy Broads. *sigh*

Garwood -- you had a Delta 88, too? SHUT. UP. Yours was four years newer than mine. That was the first BRAND NEW CAR our family ever owned. God, it was so fucking exciting. It's also the only car in which I've ever raced.

Okay, your Malibu sounds like it's eerily similar to my sister's Cutlass. Right down to the color. And I see that damn car everywhere. But I'll be on the lookout for you.

Do you think they'll make me a Kermit the Frog Piss at Liquor Lyle's tomorrow night? Would I dare even ask for something with Malibu in it?

Daddy Geek Boy said...

I drive a Camry as does pretty much every second driver in LA.

Jess said...

The Malibu totally beats the Achieva in the "driving out of the snowbank the city plows piled up next to my car" competition.

Garwood B. Jones said...

jess... Were at lyles. Where are you?

Jess said...

I'm so glad I didn't have to respond to this last night.