23 February 2009

Since no one is going to get into trouble ...

On Saturday night, while out at Liquor Lyle's celebrating my birthday, I ended up meeting some friends of The Boy I Currently Like. I was completely freaked out that he would be mad at me, or at them, or at all of us, but I guess that's not the case. So, I guess I feel like it's okay for me to write about it.

See, I'd been laboring under the delusion that I'd cleverly kept his identity secret. Well, my friends know who I'm talking about. But his friends didn't. Or at least they didn't until last fall, when one of them finally put all the pieces together after reading about the Boy I Currently Like for a year or so. Honestly, I thought he was the only friend of The Boy's who read my blog. That's apparently not the case, either. I knew he'd figured it out, but I had no idea what he'd do with the information. But now I know.

On the one hand, I feel like a complete idiot for laboring under the assumption that I was doing a good job of keeping things under wraps. It's neither my job nor my place to tell his friends we're dating, right? But on the other hand, it's kind of a weight off my shoulders. I don't have to try so hard to hide things (not that I was doing a good job ... I think I was getting kinda lazy about it) . Don't think I'm going to out anyone, though. Not that it matters, since everyone fucking knows, but I still don't feel it's my place to do. But I certainly won't stop anyone from outing themselves.

As I proofread this, it almost sounds like we're having some dirty little affair that we must keep secret from the world. That's totally not the case. However, despite the fact that I'm a narcissistic asshole who regularly writes about the intimate details of my life for all of the Interwebs to read, I do hold some things back. It's true!

So anyway, back to Saturday, I'm very glad I didn't leave early or head to the Red Dragon to continue the party. I had a blast talking to his friends. And I'm not just saying that because they bought me drinks. Or because I was already kinda drunk when they got there. They truly seem like great guys -- not that I would have expected anything less. They love him dearly, which makes me happy. In fact, they told me how great he was so many times that it felt a little like they were trying to get me to agree to go out with him. There may have been a reason for that, but my whiskey-addled memory can't quite pull it together.

And there was even a bonus "Hey, what a small world," discovery. One of The Boy's friends played basketball in college with The Cheating Asshole Ex. I really figured it was only a matter of time before I discovered some overlap somewhere. I mean, they all went to a tiny college. How could they not know each other? It's still possible The Boy knows The Ex, but I've never talked in specifics about him.

There you have it; elaboration on the ultra-vague birthday night post. It turned out to be a pretty damn good birthday week, after all.

5 comments:

JP said...

I am so glad you had a good birthday night celebration!!! sorry I couldn't make it, I'm trying not to drink.. (I'm lame)

Jon said...

Whatever happened to the anonymity of the internet? Geez, the ramifications of your post are frightening. Even casual drinking is now threatened. ;)

Jess said...

You were missed, JP, but I totally understand.

I honestly thought that the highlight of my night was going to be the dude walking his puppy past the bus stop who asked if I wanted to give his puppy a treat, as he was trying to socialize him to strangers. I almost peed, I was so excited.

Turns out the night just kept getting better and better.

Jerious Norwood said...

See, now that sounds like it was fun. Makes me a bit homesick.

Jess said...

And not a hint of laciviousness. I mean, as far as I remember.

Seriously, it was so much fun. Sorry. Don't mean to rub it in.