29 January 2009

Oddly good.

A few months ago, I was taking a break from work and perusing Allrecipes.com, when I came across a recipe that intrigued and terrified me: Corn Dog Muffins.

I sent the link to The Boy I Currently Like saying, "I cannot decide. Is this the best idea ever, or the worst?" I was unsure to start, but began warming to the idea shortly. He was on board immediately, but then looked at the pictures and became a bit wary. After some discussion, though, we decided that we simply had to try them.

The start of football, him moving and who knows what else made me forget about it until just recently. But he was to come over tonight and I thought of it and so we decided that's what we were having for dinner. Over the course of the week, I was getting a little worried about eating them. They were still a little scary. Yet, I made them. I said we could run to Luce and get pizza (to have with our mashed potatoes) if they were terrible. I didn't use the boxed corn muffin mix. Fuck that shit. I made my own.

We sat down to eat. I was letting mine cool, but The Boy took a bite right away. I watching him chewing and there it was -- the thumbs up. Really? Not only were they edible, he said they were good. I had to try mine. Holy shit. They are good. Like, really good. Corn dogs are fucking awesome, but these are even more awesome in their own way.

It totally feels white trashy, or maybe like kid food, but I don't fucking care. I didn't even care that we're eating this cheap, simple thing while watching Top Chef. They are goddamn fucking tasty. And bonus -- they're cheap and easy.

The corn dog muffins were the crowning glory of a delightful evening. So our Thursday night NBC shows weren't on. We had a lovely time just hanging out and watching the Gophers win. Or I did, anyway. The Boy was humouring me. He's sweet like that sometimes. Man, after the fucking week I had, I needed a nice night. At least the nightmare is almost over. I should have a car within 48 hours. Then Sunday is le Superbowl, though apparently all my friends suck and no one is coming over to watch the game. Oh well. That's a lot of money I don't have to spend now to host a party.

7 comments:

Kassandra said...

Bahahaha I have never heard of them! Send me the recipe I really want to try them now!

Jen said...

I see what you mean about the pics....ewww! But if you say they're good, I believe you. I'm not a big fan of hot dogs or corn dogs anyway.

angelsroy33 said...

Are you kidding?! I am so-all-over-that!!!! I'll be on my way to Recipes.com to find our new addition to the menu for SuperBowlSundayfest.
Oh, and SO GLAD things are getting better w/ the car situation. (you had me a little worried there for awhile.)

Jess said...

Kassandra -- the link to the recipe is in the post, and it is also here.

They really are delicious.

I was a little worried for a while, too. And it's not all over until I'm back in town tomorrow with Barbie. But I'm more hopeful than I have been in a week.

Krista said...

Holy crap! They might taste good, but maybe they could have left the one that's split open out of the picture. They look gross.

shrtstormtrooper said...

Your blog is linked from Ambulance Driver's, and he pondered if the rest of your blog is as funny as the title. I dare say it is. Well done.

http://ambulancedriverfiles.blogspot.com/

Jess said...

Aw, thanks!

And Krista -- sometimes the most frightening-looking things taste best.