20 January 2009

Like an orgasm for my feet.

Believe it or not, this is the first place I've ever lived that had hardwood floors. I always fantasized about getting an apartment with hardwood floors every time I moved -- an apartment in a duplex or something like that. So, I was fairly ecstatic when I found this place, which was pretty much all I ever wanted. Well, it's a fourplex instead of a duplex. But that's a small matter.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm kind of amazed I never really miss having carpet. Getting used to hardwood floors versus carpet? Doesn't really seem to have been an issue. I never really even think about it, actually. The only time I ever notice it is when I'm walking barefoot on a particularly lovely carpet. My sister's upstairs carpet is fantastic, for example.

Late last week I broke down and bought a new bathroom rug -- the one that goes around the bottom of the toilet. My old one was falling apart. I thought maybe I could just get the rug and not have to replace the lid cover. How silly of me. If I'd done it the last time I saw the same color rug as I had, it would have been fine. But Target no longer carries that shade. Jerks.

Because I'm sometimes super lazy, it took me until yesterday to get the new stuff in place. Oh my God, y'all -- that rug! It's divine. It's so fucking luxurious. I stood on it for at least five minutes last night. It's almost as if it's massaging my feet. I felt so good and so relaxed. This morning I had to do it again. FREAK! Or not. I love it when something simple makes me so fucking happy. And it cost all of $12.99.

Sadly, I know it won't last. In fact, I'll enjoy the hell out of that rug too much, too soon and it'll be matted down and sorry-feeling well before it's time. Maybe I should stock up on replacements now ...

4 comments:

Daddy Geek Boy said...

I grew up with carpet and now have hardwood floors. Sure they look great and sure you can slide around in your socks, but I miss lying on carpet.

I say get another rug. Get two. Stack them up upon each other and rotate them as needed.

Jess said...

Two rugs, stacked upon each other? Have you gone mad? My God, man. Do you realize what you're proposing?

I suppose I occasionally miss rolling around on the carpeted floor, but since I don't have kids, I don't have much occasion for that.

Daddy Geek Boy said...

Who says I roll around on the carpet because I have kids?

Jess said...

Touché! I guess it was just recently I was occasionally sleeping on a floor, so I don't know what I'm talking about.

Though, as a wee lass, one of my favorite games to play with my dad after lunch was what we called "roly poly." It was basically just my sister and I crawling all over our dad and rolling around on the floor with him.