04 January 2009

Letting go.

I can hold a grudge like nobody's business. I have held them for years; for so long I can't even remember what I was pissed about in the first place. However, the older I get, the more I realize that holding a grudge is so much fucking work. Of course, there are some grudges that are worth holding. And I do hold on to those. There are some mistakes you just don't want to repeat, you know?

So this is why I'm letting go of some shit that has been bothering me for months. Or, you know, so many months it's actually more than a year or so. Depending on the thing the grudge I've been holding, of course. Why spend all that energy on being angry at people who have done me wrong in some fashion? My life is pretty good. I am reasonably happy with my job, my family is alright, my friends are wonderful and The Boy I Currently Like is ever so fucking delightful.

If I can let it go, I should. So, we're square.

4 comments:

Emily said...

Not only is it a ton of work, but half the time the person I'm holding a grudge against isn't even all the aware of it.

So they're completely unaffected, while I sit there with my panties in a twist. Not worth it.

Jess said...

An excellent point. Fuck 'em. Fuck 'em all.

I mean, I don't care.

Greg said...

Ditto. Not worth it.

Turn that frown upside down...?

No, nevermind. Forget I said that. Let's just stick with the "not worth it" part.

Jess said...

Oh, there's not even a frown to turn upside down.

The best part about just letting it go is that you don't have to forgive, but you certainly can forget.