24 December 2008

Family, Guitar Hero, Church and whatnot.

Oh Christmas Eve. Not nearly drunk enough. Scheming to get home tomorrow. Uploading old country CDs to my new laptop. Wondering what it will be like to play the song my nephew created on Guitar Hero.

I was really glad to work today, odd as it might seem. Had I taken the day off, my mom would have been wondering why I didn't come home Tuesday night. Or why was I waiting so long to come home today? God forbid I want to have a leisurely day, going to the gym and chilling before I head down to the farm. If I go to work, I don't have to worry about any of that.

There was a chance I could have missed Mass this afternoon. The four of us left in the office did an extra-long trivia session. But I managed to get back in time to even snag a random spot in a pew, instead of sitting on a folding chair in the back. I was hoping for the latter, actually, because it might have given me the opportunity to sneak out. Alas, it was not to be. At least we snuck out early. Okay, it wasn't exactly sneaking. After Communion, some lady came out and said something about a bunch of kids singing songs. Not more than 30 seconds later, someone taps me on the shoulder -- my brother is letting me know that we are out of there. Sweet!

God, church is awful. There was a constant undercurrent of babies crying/laughing/generally making noise the entire mass. I never realized there was so much terrible bleached hair in my hometown. It's either brassy or that ashy, almost-gray, white blonde. Ew. Also, did I miss something? Did the dog-turdy, all-one-piece curl suddenly become the height of fashion? I'm guessing I somehow missed it several years ago, because shit in small towns is totes behind the time. Being at home always makes me so glad to live the life I do.

But it's not all bad. The Nephew and I played Wii forever -- bowling, baseball, boxing, tennis and Guitar Hero World Tour. Quality time with him is always a good thing. And of course, I can't wait for him to open his ugly Christmas sweater tomorrow. That's gonna be awesome. I just have to hope that we let him stay up late enough so that he lets us sleep tomorrow. *crosses fingers*

Anyway, hope y'all are having lovely holidays with your family and your travels are safe and easy. Just one night away and I'll be back home in my own bed tomorrow.

1 comment:

Krista said...

How did he like the sweater?.. I searched Walmart's after Christmas sale yesterday and had no luck of finding an ugly sweater. My daughter, who is 5, was confused why I wanted an ugly Christmas sweater. Maybe I'll search ebay? Hilarious! Type in "ugly Christmas sweater" and 138 matches came up! I really love typing ugly christmas sweater. Ugly Christmas sweater. Ugly. Christmas. Sweater.