17 December 2008

Albums of the Year.

I Voted in 89.3 The Current's Top 89 Albums of 2006

Ah, the end of a year. Time for everyone and their brother to trot out a multitude of year-end lists. Who am I to miss out on the fun? Besides, I've done a post with my favorite albums of the year each year that I've been blogging.

When I started thinking about this post, I figured I wouldn't possibly be able to even think of a Top 10. My friend Macho Man said a few weeks ago that he felt music has jumped the shark. When he said it, I couldn't say I totally disagreed with him. There were only a handful of recent albums that sprang to mind as being any good. I've also been listening to mostly older stuff for months now. With unemployment and new jobs, I didn't really feel like I bought much music this year, either.

The unemployment and general upheaval in my life in 2008 made me forget a lot of stuff, though. The Boy I Currently Like and I were watching the intro to Best Year Ever last night and they were playing clips of shit that happened over the course of the year. One clip was of Shaq doing his freestyle dissing Kobe. I looked at The Boy,

Jess: "That happened this year?"
The Boy: "Yep."
Jess: "Man. It's been a long year."
The Boy: "Yes it has."

With this in mind, I went to vote on my Top 10 on The Current's website. I realized there were absolutely 10 albums I really liked. There are several more on my honorable mention list. So, without further ado, here they are in no particular order ... well alphabetical, I guess.

Top 10 Albums of 2008

    Beach House, Devotion
    Brendan Canning, Something For All Of Us
    Elbow, The Seldom Seen Kid
    Fleet Foxes, Fleet Foxes
    Frightened Rabbit, The Midnight Organ Fight
    The Helio Sequence, Keep Your Eyes Ahead
    MGMT, Oracular Spectacular
    My Morning Jacket, Evil Urges
    Sons And Daughters, This Gift
    The Ting Tings, We Started Nothing

If you put a gun to my head and forced me to choose, I would pick Brendan Canning's (of Broken Social Scene) album as my absolute favorite. No small feat considering my deep, deep abiding love of Elbow.

Honorable mention: The Raveonettes, Lust Lust Lust; M83, Saturdays=Youth; The Duke Spirit, Neptune; Tilly and the Wally, O; The Raconteurs, Consolers of the Lonely; British Sea Power, Do You Like Rock Music and Yeasayer, All Hour Cymbols.

Of course, there are all the bands whose discs I have yet to buy or download from iTunes or eMusic that would have had a shot at making the list -- Ryan Adams & The Cardinals, Oasis, The Black Angels, The Black Keys, Atmosphere, Calexico, The Cool Kids, Drive-By Truckers, Jenny Lewis, Mercury Rev, Okkervill River, Sigur Ros, The Walkmen, Wolf Parade, Travis, The Verve, Mogwai, The Roots ... Most of them are on my Christmas list.

The most prominent absences on my list are likely Bon Iver and Vampire Weekend. I've seen them on all the lists The Boy keeps sending me. I really kinda hate both. They can eat a fucking dick. And TV on the Radio? Meh. I loved, loved, LOVED Return to Cookie Mountain. But Dear Science is a lot more like their first album, for which I didn't care too much. Snow Patrol was probably the biggest disappointment for me. I've loved them for ages, but this latest album is a huge leap forward on the accessible and bland continuum. It's Coldplay Jr.! Boo.

Possible links coming later, as I slowly get music onto my new computer.

8 comments:

Frank said...

Finally, someone else who's heard of, and appreciates, the Raveonettes!

Jess said...

Dude, I love the Raveonettes! I have a massive crush on them, too.

Jen said...

I love The Raconteurs! That one's probably my fave. I like Jenny Lewis also.

Jess said...

I was just a bit disappointed in this Raconteurs album, but it's because I loved the first one so. fucking. much. And really, it's unfair of me to judget them like that. But what can you do?

I'm sure I will love the Jenny Lewis disc when I get it. I considered swiping it off The Boy's coffee table the other night, but I refrained. Santa's watching, after all.

Geoffory said...

Coldplay Jr., huh? That might be the best insult EVER.

Snow Patrol....Coldplay....I'm beginning to see a trend.

Jess said...

To be totally fair, I haven't given the new Snow Patrol album a good listen. However, nothing jumped out at me when I heard it and the songs from it that I've heard on The Current are just meh.

I don't hold them at the same level of disdain as Coldplay. Yet. Mostly because Snow Patrol had three albums I really liked a ton before they started moving down the path to bland pop music. Even the last album was Snow Patrol-y, despite the presence of "Chasing Cars."

Regardless of what I end up thinking of this last album, I am almost certain I've seen Snow Patrol for the very last time. They've stopped playing my favorite song live. Jerks.

(Now playing on my iPod, Frank: "Attack of the Ghost Riders," from The Raveonettes' first album.)

Big Blue Monkey 2: The Quickening said...

Don't forget the Lee Family Curse! I mention them because they are good, and not because they will be the first band we interview about sports over at I Dislike Your Favorite Team!

Jess said...

I would argue that you're mentioning them for precisely the reason you say you are not.