04 November 2008

So this is it.



The most important election of my lifetime thus far, will be decided today. Hopefully.

Man, I remember 2000 all too well. This was back when I had a TV in my bedroom. I left it on when I finally succumbed to sleep because the election hadn't been decided. I kept waking up all night and it still wasn't over. Florida had been called. A few hours later I woke up and it was still in play. I was positive I was dreaming.

I don't think I can handle a repeat of that.

It took me an hour and 10 minutes this morning to vote. Quite frankly, I was glad to get to spend some time outside in the lovely weather. Jim was in line a few people ahead of me. A girl who goes to my gym was also there. (Now I feel less bad about working out there and driving since someone else in my 'hood does the same.) I was voter number 404 around 9:30. They had to empty the ballot box while I was there. I'm not at all surprised. Minnesota consistently leads the nation in voter turnout.

Do y'all have big election night plans? Not me. I'm going to the gym, as usual. I'll get plenty of CNN while doing cardio. I just don't think I can sit all night watching coverage. It's too much. And it's the same thing over and over and over until it gets to be later in the night. There are too many swing states this time around -- too many new swing states. Virginia? North Carolina? If things are close in traditionally red states, they won't be called until everyone is sure. Besides, I'm so nervous, I'd be drunk before the fucking polls closed.

There is one electiony thing I'm doing tonight, though. I'll be stopping at Ben & Jerry's on my way home from the gym to get my free scoop.

8 comments:

supertoyz said...

I'll be having my own election party of one tonight. Just me, CNN and a bag of chips. It's going to be grand! I might even Tivo a bit if I have to get up for any reason.

claire said...

so with you vis-a-vis b&js. starbucks has jumped on the freebie bandwagon too, but just for regular coffee.

Jess said...

There's nothing wrong with hanging out solo on election night, right? The last time I watched results with anyone was the 1998 election. The boyfriend (Cheating Asshole Ex) and I had gone to a late movie and come home to results pointing to a victory in the gubenatorial race for one Jesse Ventura. I stayed up until like, 2:00 a.m. repeating, "This can't be happening. This can't be happening!"

For a second there, Claire, I thought we were talking about blowjobs and I got all excited.

There are actually several places around the Minneapple giving shit away with your "I Voted" sticker -- shots, pints of beer, guacamole, cookies, and of course the Starfucks coffee.

scargosun said...

I'll be watching the returns tonight if I don't have to work. I can do other stuff at the same time anyway.

Jess said...

If I time it right, I'll be home, fed and showered in time for the start of The Daily Show/Colbert Report extravaganza.

Think the gym'll be dead tonight?

Emily said...

My parents had a returns party for the 2000 election. I was in high school at the time, and I remember there being a lot of awkward discussion over whether it was time to leave.

Jen said...

Although I'm thrilled with the outcome of the presidential race, it still disheartens me to no end to see all those red states in the south. Not to mention most of the state-wide and local races I voted in were for a republican incumbent with no opposition. Oh well, at least no one messed with my Obama/Biden lawn sign!

Jess said...

Holy awkward, Emily. Man, I was shocked it was over so fucking soon last night. Especially after I was in a complete panic for a while at the gym while watching very early returns roll in. I really didn't expect to find out the election had been called while Macho Man and I were watching The Daily Show/Colbert Report.

We went to Luce after that and hollered back at the people hooting and hollering up and down the street.

Yay for no one messing with your sign, Jen. I imagine it is disheartening for you, but shit, maybe change is coming. I mean, Virginia went blue. North Carolina seems to be going blue.

Then again, the morons in Minnesota's Sixth District re-elected Queen of the Wingnuts Michelle Bachmann. So my hope is tempered.