18 November 2008

New Year's came early.

The gym has been pretty crowded the last couple of weeks. At first, I attributed it to the change in the weather. It finally got cold, so people aren't doing their exercise outside any more.

Then last week before yoga, I found out that the Bally in Bloomington had closed on October 31. Apparently, the luxury car dealership (BMW? Mercedes? I'll never have one, whatever it is) next door wanted to expand. So they bought the lot and the club closed. Clearly, expanding your luxury car dealership is a brilliant move in this economy. I wish you douchebags all the best.

Where will all these people go? The Bloomington club was pretty fucking big. It was certainly bigger than St. Louis Park. It's bigger than Little Canada. Possibly bigger than St. Paul. It was big enough that I could get on a treadmill at 6:15 before yoga right after the first of the year when I used to go there for yoga.

Yesterday, I found out that plenty of them are coming to St. Louis Park. And it threw me into a panic. I got there at 7:00 and there wasn't a single piece of cardio equipment to be had. It was tough to even walk around the track because there were so many people. Lucky for me, I have good vulturing skills and got a treadmill for 15 minutes of pre-yoga cardio after a single lap around the track.

But if it is mid-November and the gym looks like it is January 2, what the fuck is it going to be like after the New Year's Resolutioners show up? I'll be working out until the club closes at 10:00.

FUCK.

So, I panicked. I started running through my options.

1. Take the bus to work: Sure, I get home later, so I don't have to kill two hours between getting home and heading to the gym. However, I'm still working out late and I have to get up early. Um, no.

2. Take the bus to work and work out at the Richfield Bally: Still have to get up early, but the bus stops right in front of the fucking club. Sweet! However, that means working out when everyone else is, too. Maybe the Richfield club is big? Less busy? I would have to haul my gym shit to work every fucking day. This isn't terrible, because the buses weren't ever crowded when I've been on them in the past. It's just a pain for me. Also, riding home on the bus stinky. Because I know St. Louis Park, Bloomington, St. Paul and Little Canada are all nasty, I'll feel safe in assuming Richfield is as well, and I won't want to shower there. Plus, that's even more shit to haul. Also, the bus going home from there runs every half hour at fucking rush hour. The bus stop is pretty desolate and quite frankly, I'm not sure I'd feel safe there in the dark by myself. And having to time it perfectly to catch the one perfect bus is not my strong suit.

3. Switch to the Y: It's a bit more expensive. The YWCA in Uptown is probably a pain to park at and in the winter, I doubt I'd be inclined to walk. I'm not proud of that fact, but it is what it is. The YMCA on Blaisdell is probably just as close to me as the YWCA. Plus, that location is being renovated. The Y in Mankato was new when I worked out there and it was pretty bad-ass. It's a possibility. But I love routine and I've been with Bally since I finished college.

4. Work out in the morning: I've tried this and it was an epic failure. However, that was like, 10 years ago. Maybe I'm different now? Maybe I should give it a try? That fucks with my yoga, big time. Perhaps I could still do yoga and work out in the morning ... It might be worth a two-week experiment. What the fuck would I do with myself at night though? Drink and watch basketball? *strokes chin thoughtfully* I'm listening.

5. Adjust my work schedule: This would probably happen if I started working out in the morning anyway. I can be flexible with my work hours. People start coming in at like 7:30 all the way through 9:30 or even 10:00. If I'm not getting home from the gym until 9:30, why not work 9:30 to 5:30 or 6:00 so I can get a little extra sleep in the morning? Again, it would be a huge adjustment for me. I'm not a morning person by any stretch of the imagination, but I really like my work day to be done as early as I can handle it.

But wait! Maybe I freaked out a bit too much, too soon. (What? Me race to the worst-case scenario immediately? Shocking. Absolutely fucking shocking.) Tonight, I got to the gym at like, 6:45 and there were a ton of cardio options. I was able to do all my weights. Or, I would have if I didn't have a cold and hadn't coughed myself into an awful, awful headache.

I kind of hate myself for immediately going into Chicken Little mode. I try not to do it, but ... well, it's who I am. I'm pretty sure frequent readers have caught on to that. Lord knows people who know me see it all the time. Maybe I have to give up the cardio before yoga. I'll live. I'll have to get to the gym on Fridays for extra cardio, but fuck. It's not like I have a life or anything.

Perhaps I'll just take a deep breath, take a step back and see how things shake out over the next couple of weeks.

10 comments:

Jen said...

I tried to do the working out thing in the morning for about a month over the summer. I felt really great while doing it, was in a better mood at work and had a ton of energy. Plus it was nice being able to do things after work like happy hour. But like most of my exercise plans, it didn't last. Now I'm back to exercising after work again, which I guess is not so bad with the time change.

Emily said...

I LOVE the Blaisdell YMCA because I can always get a machine, but I'm actually a little nervous about the unveiling of all the renovations. I think once it doesn't look so . . . makeshift (all the cardio equipment is in the basketball gym during construction), it could get really busy.

Jess said...

I'm just not sure I could get up early enough to do it, Jen. Though, with a more flexible work schedule I wouldn't have to go at 5:00 and I don't have an asshole boyfriend keeping me up until 2:00 every night like I did then, either.

Glad to hear something good about the Blaisdell Y, Emily. You're probably right, though, about people flocking there once the renovations are done. However, it seems like that'll happen soon, so you'll get those people and the New Year's Resolutioners and by March or so, they'll all have given up. *crosses fingers*

jana said...

aw, you worked at the y in mankato? i remember when they rebuilt it. seeing as it was right next to my high school and all.

Jess said...

I worked out there. Though, I did consider working there part-time as well. 'Cause I didn't have much else to do when I lived in Mankato.

Hey! Did you know Mrs. Duffy or Mr. Arzdorf? I had them both in high school, but they both left for your school not long after I graduated. I used to see them both at the Y from time to time.

Anonymous said...

I heard that Lifetime is offering a great deal to former Bally's members. If there's one close to you, you might want to check that out.

Jess said...

Seriously? Thanks for the tip.

My friend Macho Man works out at the SLP Lifetime. That could be entirely too much quality time with him.

SHevvi said...

Richfiled Ballys is tiny and cruddy. It it too seems like the 1st of the year there because of Bloomington refugees. It is not awful but it does take some planning. I'll be curious to seet what you decide to do.

PS The post to Pat at the SLP Ballys had me cracking up. Did you ever notice that his class is only scheduled for 25 mins? That is why it always pushes yoga back.

jana said...

damn me and my lack of attention to detail.

also: oh, i adore mrs. duffy! i had her for AP art history. also: my mother teaches at that high school and she and mrs. duffy are gossip buddies. i fear that woman may know way too much about my love life (or lack thereof).

the world, it is small.

Jess said...

I kind of figured the Richfield Bally might be tiny and cruddy. Dammit. I suppose that is what you get with a gym in a strip mall. That's one option off my list.

I do not understand why they can't get that schedule right. What kind of class would only be 25 minutes? Are they trying to trick him into getting done in time? It's not working!

Small world indeed. One of my favorite classes was Ceramics with Mrs. Duffy. She'd come around at the end of class and dole out hand lotion for us. Jergens Ultra Healing Lotion will forever remind me of her.