24 November 2008

Leftovers.

I think it's a bummer that leftovers get such a bad rap. I guess I understand why it happens sometimes. There are things that should never be reheated, for one thing. Some stuff just doesn't keep well, even overnight. And if it wasn't good the first time, why on Earth would it be better later?

To be honest, I never used to be a huge proponent of leftovers myself. But something's happened in the last couple of years -- since I started cooking more. Maybe it's just that I'm cooking better to begin with. Or I'm understanding what kind of things not only work well the next day, but are often even better after sitting in the fridge overnight or being reheated. I mean, I spend my Sundays cooking to have leftovers all week. I often make something specifically to have it for lunch the next day(s). I won't do anything but taste a couple of bites to make sure it's okay.

My leftovers today kick some pretty major ass. When I brought all that pork home on Friday night, I realized it wasn't all going to fit in the freezer. Dammit. I was so close. I took out a T-bone steak, though, and problem solved. Well, the big problem was solved. Any time I go in the freezer and move anything, I have to spend 10 minutes moving stuff around so the door closes.

It wasn't that long ago I wouldn't eat meat that was even remotely pink in the middle. That makes for awful, rubbery, dry leftovers. I've changed my ways, though. I cooked my steak fairly rare (after marinating in olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper) and it was divine last night. Today it is just as good. The garlic broccoli? Yum. Oh, and the squash? Holy crap. Why do I make squash so fucking rarely?

Shit, I spent all day yesterday in the kitchen. I made raspberry buttermilk muffins, firecracker cornbread and a chipotle blue cheese dip with Baconnaise in place of some of the regular Baconnaise. I even made homemade blue cheese dressing to be used in the dip. Seems a bit much no? Well, I had a carton of buttermilk to use up. God forbid I let less than $1 worth of buttermilk go to waste. Not in this fucking economy, honey.

This is the week for leftovers, too. KayGee and I always make insane amounts of food as it is, but we go absolutely bitchcakes for Thanksgiving. Seriously. I cannot fucking wait.

2 comments:

.::~P~::. said...

I, too, didn't use to eat leftovers until I discovered ingredients that worked well as a leftover!

All this sounds wayyyy delicious right now! I'm drooling on my keyboard!!

Jess said...

It's a little sad, but I'm totally excited to have the same leftovers tomorrow.