08 November 2008

It really wasn't me.

Last night I went to happy hour with my former coworkers. As it turns out, yesterday was essentially the last day of the company. Oh sure, there are some loose ends that need to be tied up (like those two three-year projects I brought in last year ... not sure how that's going to work out), but the office has been emptied and everything sold or stored in the lone remaining storage unit and the only full-time employee left was done as of yesterday.

I was fairly certain things would turn out this way after I was let go, but it took a lot longer than I thought it would. And I really felt like shit a few months ago when I hopped on to the website to see if they were doing anything and saw there was a new researcher. Oh, so I get canned and then six months later you hire someone to replace me? I felt like it was an indictment of me -- that I wasn't good enough and it was my fault.

Knowing that wasn't the case makes me feel a lot better about myself. It really was their fault for not bringing in any work and neglecting the business. I do feel bad for the new researcher -- he apparently had no idea that they'd only be keeping him on through the end of the year. Wish I could say I was surprised by that kind of dick move on the boss man's part. But he's a dick, so it was less than shocking.

It was surprisingly good to see those guys. I had a blast. We're planning on doing it again in the not-too-distant future. Maybe there's something about the new shared bond we have in that we were all let go.

5 comments:

Jesse Mendez said...

Hi there how are you? I was looking through your blog and found it interesting and wanted to leave you a comment.

I have an ivitation for you to come and visit my art blog here in San Diego, and comment if you will.

I think that you may enjoy the various labels and music videos I design for my art blog, hope to see you here soon and take care :)

Emily said...

That's a nice little bit of comment spam you've got there.

Jess said...

You're totally jealous, aren't you?

Jen said...

You still talk to that intern guy? His name escapes me at the moment.

Jess said...

Do you mean the former office crush? Not nearly as much as I used to. He's supposed to be in town over the holidays, though.