21 November 2008

I am not sappy.

Honestly. I swear. Despite that one line in that single e-mail in a series of exchanges with The Boy I Currently Like a couple of days ago. I'm not romantic. I don't go in for all that girly bullshit. It seems cheesy and over-the-top and it all screams "I'm trying too hard!" I don't like being on the receiving end of it, either.

I especially loathe romantic comedies. And I so strongly dislike movies with Hugh Grant. But God help me, I adore Love Actually. I cannot stop myself from watching it when I come across it on TV. How does a romantic comedy reach that pantheon in my life? How does it get to share that rarefied air with the Star Wars trilogy, the Lord of the Rings trilogy, Sixteen Candles, The Commitments, Heat, The Usual Suspects, The Shawshank Redemption, The Breakfast Club, Weird Science, Purple Rain? The movies I will watch no matter where I catch them when I'm flipping through channels. How did this happen?

I actually saw it in the theater. My sister conned me into going shopping with her the day after Thanksgiving. Then she somehow conned me into seeing a romantic comedy, featuring Hugh fucking Grant. God, I am such a good fucking sister. And I hated myself for loving Love Actually. I can't explain what it is that makes me love it, but I do.

Oddly enough, when talking about movies The Boy thinks I need to see and which of us is going to Netflix them, he said that if it is a movie he wants me to see, he will Netflix it. However, "You suggest something like "Dream a Little Dream" or "Love Actually", than that will come out of your Netflix Account." Sure, I've never seen "Dream a Little Dream," but how did he know to bust out "Love Actually?" Damn him.

It's a good thing that the Wolves are getting their asses kicked by KG's Celtics, because I don't feel bad for ignoring the game to watch the movie. It should be noted that I'm not crying when seeing KG and I can actually watch commercials featuring him and I'm totally able to watch entire Celtics games. This is progress, people.

But KG will have to wait until I get my fill of sappy, romantic holiday movies.

I'm only a little ashamed.

8 comments:

Alaina said...

I'm not sappy either... but I like that movie too... I think because it's so awkward and there are so many story lines and it's just... different... than anything else out there.

Jen said...

I really love that new KG commercial. The first time I saw it I laughed hysterically. I'm sorry.

L'Austin Translation said...

Love Actually is not the typical romantic movie, I think. I find it hard to explain why I just love it and hate most others. Before it, I always felt as if my girl-card should be taken away on account of my dislike of those types of movies. You're definitely not alone.

And yay for boys that also like it!

Emily said...

I feel the same way about Love Actually.

Maybe it's that you can't predict the ending of every single story line before it happens, as is the case with most romantic comedies?

Daddy Geek Boy said...

It's been a long time since I've seen "Dream a Little Dream" but I doubt that it holds up. It was barely a good movie the first go round.

Jess said...

I'm so glad y'all identify with Love Actually being not your run-of-the-mill romantic comedy. It is totally awkward and I love how all the divergent story lines come intersect and diverge throughout the movie.

And I'm not even sure who is in Dream A Little Dream or what it's about.

Yankee Girl said...

I heart Love Actually mucho. As does my husband. And probably every other man I know. I think it's more honest and real than most romantic comedies that even men aren't afraid to admit they love it. It has this amazing power to make me laugh out loud every time I watch it.

Jen said...

Isn't Dream a Little Dream that movie with the two Coreys?