03 October 2008

What has happened to me?

This afternoon at work, I was reading an e-mail from an old friend. It made me think of how it wasn't that long ago that I used to spend Friday anticipating whatever big plans I had for the night and the rest of the weekend. I'd get all whored up to head out to preparty somewhere and then we'd head off to a club. Okay, that was actually several years ago. In more recent years, there's still plenty of whoring up going on, but maybe just for happy hours or dinner or something like that.

While I was reminiscing, it occurred to me that I can't even remember the last time I had plans on a Friday night. There were a few times this summer that I went to someone's house or had a couple of people over for drinks on the deck. But real, honest-to-goodness Friday Night Plans? It seems to have been ages, because I can't recall a single occasion.

Saturday night plans are few and far between, as well -- especially now that block party season is over. There was Sarah's bachelorette party a couple of weeks ago and I guess I am going to Fleet Foxes next weekend. Look at me! I'm a social butterfly.

I suppose it's good that I'm perfectly content to stay at home, since I'm totally fucking broke. But I really am perfectly happy to hang out at home. I've been cooking and baking on the weekends. Tonight I'm making black bean hummus, which since I'm only using the food processor, probably doesn't count as actual cooking. I feel like I want to bake, too, but I don't know what I should make.

With no baseball on (I realize there is baseball on, but with the Twins out of it, I don't care), I can also clear some stuff from the DVR and read the comics The Boy I Currently Like gave me last weekend. The drinks and food here are uber cheap. And I totally control the music. Maybe I'll be drunk and play DJ later. Really, the possibilities are endless.

I'm sure I'll get the itch to go out soon enough. For now, though, I'm happy to be a homebody.

6 comments:

Emily said...

Going out on Friday night has just become not worth it for me. I'm exhausted from the work week, and I can rarely make it pass midnight. Plus I'm usually a little crabby.

I'm much more happy in sweats at home drinking wine and letting myself recharge a bit.

Jess said...

Amen, sister. I'm usually so exhausted by Friday I couldn't possibly go out if I wanted to.

FYI: The black bean hummus is fan-fucking-tastic and the flavors haven't even had time marry in the fridge yet.

And also, excellent news -- our dryer is broken! I've spent $2 and my clothes are just as wet now as when I put them in. AWESOME.

Anonymous said...

Re: Comics.

I just finished teaching a unit on graphic novels in my ENG 110 classes. The students who cared LOVE "Watchmen."

Recommendation for The Girl Who Likes Bacon: "Y: The Last Man" is pretty good. I've only read the first issue so far, but the post-fem/fem vibe is fairly cool, and it's well written. It was enough for this Literary Douchebag to order the next couple volumes.

Scope it out, if The Boy Who You Currently Like hasn't tossed you a copy already.

Jess said...

I took The Boy's copy of Watchmen with me when I went to New York and I loved it, too. You know there will be a movie next summer, right?

Have not heard of the "Y: The Last Man." If the Literary Douchebag likes it, then I'm sure I will.

Jen said...

Would you mind emailing me the recipe for the black bean hummus? I think I have a mini food processor somewhere in my kitchen.

Jess said...

Done and done, Jen.

Oh, and Anonymous Literary Douchebag: He has Y: The Last Man. Well, it's currently with his best friend's girlfriend, but he has it.

I won't be reading it any time soon, though. He has some sort of plan for what I need to read and when. *cough*NERD*cough*