09 October 2008

I don't know if I'm ready for this level of camaraderie.

Now that I am back in the Corporate World, I have to get used to doing corporate stuff again. Doing things like company outings. Except I don't like those kinds of things. Shocking, no?

Today was our fall outing and I totally skipped it. I ended up having a decent excuse to skip. I took off some time Monday afternoon to fulfill my duties as Emergency Contact for my nephew. So I not only had to make up time, but he also had a playoff football game tonight. Also, I was actually very busy today and was being a busy worker bee until I left. How could I go to the company outing that lasted from 4 to 6 when I had to work until 5:00?

The outing was a wine tasting. It was also nearly in Wisconsin. We had to drive ourselves because apparently, since the person in charge was not aware of any "closet wino's" [sic] at the company, why would it matter? Obviously, these people have never hung out with me.

Look, I love wine. And there are a few people at the office I wouldn't mind talking to outside of the office (one of them was out for Yom Kippur, of course). But I'm not spending at least 45 minutes in the car to go drink wine for two hours so I can turn around and drive 45 minutes home.

I'm a fun hater. I'm not a team player.

I'll totally go to the holiday thing, though. Sounds like they do it up quite well for the holiday party.

3 comments:

Emily said...

You'd think a company would plan transportation for a booze-related company outing just for the liability issue! Jeez.

Besides, work outings tend to be so awkward that you have to get drunk just to get through them.

Jess said...

I know, right? I'm sure there's a clause in the insurance policy that frowns upon sending employees out drinking and driving.

Besides, with Boob-Starer and Office Douchebag attending, I just didn't need to go.

scargosun said...

I am with Emily. That was just short sighted.