27 October 2008

Get into the groove.

Do you have Madonna in your head now? I hope so, suckers. Even if you didn't at first, now that I've made you think about it, you're totally going to be singing it in your head until it drives you nuts.

get into the groove, boy
you've got to prove
your love to me
yeah

get up on your feet, yeah
step to the beat, boy
what will it be?


Fuck. Now I'm singing it.

This post is not about Madonna. It's about me. Duh. It's about me finally feeling like I'm hitting my stride. But that's not really the right way to describe how I'm feeling. When I first thought about it, I was thinking that I'm in a rut. However, saying you're in a rut has a seriously negative connotation. I'm not feeling negative about this. Even saying I've settled into a routine seems like it's too negative.

So, I'm getting into a groove. Work has seriously settled down, though, I'll be starting my training on The Big Account in a couple of weeks and that could upset the applecart a bit. I don't anticipate it being anything at all like the training I went through when I started. This is one dude coming out to show me all of these sources and then give me some pointers on how this client likes their research results to appear.

Outside of work, I am in the calm before the storm that is the holidays. I get out of work at pretty much the same time every day and I come home, eat something, change my clothes and head to the gym. My workouts are pretty good for the most part and I've even added in cardio before yoga. I'm still getting used to yoga starting a half hour later. It's crazy how much of a difference 30 minutes makes. Actually, it's more like 35 or 40, because in the infinite wisdom of the people who make the schedule, they took away the set-up-and-take-down time between classes. This means we start at least five minutes late because the class before us has weights and mats and steps and who the fuck knows what else.

And that's pretty much it. I'm able to run errands during the week before and after the gym, so my weekends aren't crazy full of errands and the gym and doing shit around the house. Yeah, I clean every other week or so and do laundry once a week, but there are no huge projects I need to get done. I can spend my weekends being totally fucking lazy if I so chose. That's delightful.

I was seriously broke all month, but that is letting up. Still, with the economy in the shitter, I'm going to try to be a lot more careful and conscious of where I'm spending money. This means fewer shows (not that there have been a ton that I've wanted to see anyway), entertaining at home (hello, Thursday Night Football!) and happy hours if I do go out. It means Two Buck Chuck and careful shopping. That's totally cool with me.

Now that I finally feel like I've settled into this lovely groove, it's less than a month before my nephew starts basketball. He has tournaments every weekend. Oh, and those pesky holidays. And the Ugly Christmas Sweater Pub Crawl. I'm going to enjoy this last month or so of lovely, comforting routine. Because shit's going to get hectic and I'll look back longingly at these days.

2 comments:

scargosun said...

Whoo hoo! I am psyched that you have found your groove. You were due. :) DON'T spend this time waiting for the other shoe to drop. Enjoy your peace!

Jess said...

And it only took me the better part of the year!

I have no intentions of waiting for the other shoe to drop. Not that I can help myself from doing it anyway a lot of the time. But I'm working on it.