04 September 2008

Are you ready for some football?

Fuck and yes. Oh my God. It feels like it's been forever. The cool weather, my fantasy football draft and coming home from yoga when it is suddenly considerably darker than it seemed just a few weeks ago, all have me itching to watch the foosball.

I'm always torn about which is better -- Spring or Fall? The start of baseball or the start of football? I almost think Fall is better, because there is still baseball being played and basketball is right there on the horizon. However in Spring, you've got the NCAA tournament sidling up next to the start of baseball and there's plenty of NBA action still happening. Too close to call, I guess.

I was waffling about whether I would skip the gym or not to watch tonight's opener. After all, I had to skip on Tuesday for my draft and I didn't technically work out on Monday. Though, I probably walked close to five miles through St. Paul that day. As luck would have it, I think I've got a touch of plantar facitis. Trekking through St. Paul in my Chucks all day on Monday only exacerbated the problem. Dammit.

It's so hard for me to skip the gym -- which is a good thing. Though, when I should really be skipping or I actually need to skip, I can't help but feel guilty. I suppose it's because I'm afraid of falling into old traps. You'd think that with this whole "new Jess" closer to two years than one, it wouldn't be as much of a worry. And really, it's not. Maybe it's that pervasive Catholic guilt getting into parts of my life it just doesn't belong. Heaped on top of everything else is the fact that my heel feels much better than it did yesterday. This is thanks to yoga and regular intervals of ibuprofen to reduce the inflammation, but still.

Let's look at it this way Jess -- which is better: taking a few days off now or trying to work through it (no pain, no gain motherfuckers!), making things worse and needing to go to the doctor and stop working out for even longer.

It's sad when you have to talk to yourself like a child.

So yeah, I'm totally watching the game tonight. I've already forgotten who I picked to win and I don't think any of The Bob Saget Fan Club starters are members of either team. I'm rooting for the Washington Racist Mascots. I know he's no longer with them, but Michael Strahan's gap-tooth visage lingers in my memory and will forever taint the Giants. God, I hate him.

8 comments:

Brian in Mpls said...

Go Packers on Monday:)

StoopidNoodle said...

I may need to stop subscribing. Rooting for the Redskins all because of Strahan? A man who is no longer with the team? For the Redskins?

Jess said...

It's certainly not all because of Strahan. I've never liked the Giants, even when they had former Gopher Omar Douglas.

As for the Racist Mascots, I do so love Clinton Portis's antics. Also, The Boy is a fan and he may be influencing me. I'm trying to resist, but it's a decision I would make for this game regardless.

I just don't like the Giants. Though, I was all about them beating the Pats in the Super Bowl.

Jess said...

And now I have to listen to that fucker? Go away and leave me alone, Strahan!

Oh Ed Hochuli, how I've missed your guns.

scargosun said...

Dun, dun, dun, dun!

Made my picks for the week. I better be winning me some money come Monday.

Jess said...

YES! I heart the MNF ... jingle? I know there's a word for it, but I'm a bit buzzed.

No money pool for me this year. Just fantasy and the IDYFT pick 'em pool.

Jerious Norwood said...

First of all, no invitations to the Bob Saget fan club?... what the fucks up with that?!? Secondly, Fall is clearly better. Its the beginning of football & basketball season, and most importantly the baseball playoffs. Plus, the foreboding that you feel as winter approaches reminds you that you're alive... the illusory hope that spring offers, ultimately only confirms the worst of our fears.

Jess said...

I was so angling to draft you this year, Jerious. But alas, it didn't work out once again.

You make a good point about Fall, though, I think I just tend to like whichever is on the horizon. I should be ashamed of myself.