18 August 2008

Timberwolves unveil new unis.

My opinion? A resounding meh.

Photo by Kyndell Harkness, Star Tribune.

I suppose they could have been worse. They're mildly better than the previous version, but not really by much. There seems to be too much white space or something. I really can't put my finger on it, but something is missing. Not that I want a busy uniform or anything, but do you really want something so blah and nondescript?

The picture on the Wolves' site had me a little excited, thinking they were going back to the original royal blue. But the picture above and the bit at the bottom of the press release indicate they're staying with that lame slate blue. Haven't we all realized the folly of trendy colors yet? Long gone is the teal and purple of the former Charlotte Hornets. Though, it's not like their current colors are all that great. And the Baltimore Ravens and Tampa Bay Rays still sport questionable color schemes. Oh, and the Rockies, too. And the Jags. Just say no to teal, people. Probably best to leave purple alone while we're at it. The Queens can keep it, I suppose. But really, the rest of you should switch that shit up.

Okay, maybe we haven't learned. But we should, dammit. You want something classic and timeless, dammit.

Back to the Wolves, if you're going to do something new to commemorate the 20th year of the franchise (wait -- 20 years? I've given 20 years of my life to this fucking team? Damn you McHale and Taylor!), maybe hearken back to the original unis? Okay, so they did that with the "Wolves" on the front of the home jersey, I guess. Still, I've never liked this lettering style.

*sigh* I long for the innocent days of the early franchise. Oh, Pooh Richardson, where have you gone? Tony Campbell? Tyrone Corbin? Wait, I know where you are. And I get a little smile on my face when I see you on the sidelines.

No comments: