29 August 2008

Stop pandering to me.

When I heard about John McCain's choice of Alaska Governor Sarah Palin to be his running mate earlier today, I couldn't help feeling that it was straight-up pandering to women -- especially the bitter and angry Hilary Clinton supporters.

But I've had my feminist undies in a bunch all week, so I checked in with some friends on a message board and The Boy I Currently like to see if it was all in my head. Nope. Not in my head.

As the day has gone on (thanks also to watching CNN at the gym), I've gone from feeling like the McCain camp is pandering to women to be being offended and fucking angry about this.

Do they really think women in this country are all vacuous ninnies who will vote for Palin simply because we all have vaginas? She's a social conservative. She's against gay marriage. She'd be bad for health care. She is being investigated for shenanigans surrounding the firing of her former brother-in-law, who was a state trooper, and is involved in a custody battle with her sister. And of course, she's anti-choice.

Not only is she anti-choice, she's in an organization called "Feminists for Life." How the fuck can she call herself a feminist when she's anti-choice? Feminism is all about choice -- not the least of which is the right to choose to make a private, medical decision with her doctor to terminate a pregnancy.

And how dare she get up on that stage, with her Michelle Bachman-esque Oh-it's-election-night-I-thought-it-was-prom updo and compare herself to Geraldine Ferraro and Hillary Clinton. What is the point of breaking the glass ceiling if you're not going to do what's good for women?

Do I even need to mention the fact that McCain has slammed Obama for his lack of experience and now chooses someone who has been governor of a freak state for all of two years? Man, fuck you.

Bah. I've had enough of being pissed off for one day. It's time to sit on the deck and drink.

10 comments:

Emily said...

I think my favorite initial reaction was from my roommate (who's actually a conservative white man) as we watched her on TV:

"The glasses, the hair . . . classic MILF attempt."

Little Ms Blogger said...

So, do you think McCain went down the list of female Republican governors and she was the only one crazy enough to say yes?

I'm an Independent, and have voted for both parties over the years, but am glad he didn't choose Governor Rell from CT. I actually like her.

Both candidates did positioning and his was worse because of his age. Didn't he realize that people would really scruntize his VP choice?????

j

Jess said...

Ah, yes. The sexy librarian look is kinda pandering to the mens, too.

LMB, I don't know how well his camp thought this through. Especially with the whole experience thing. He even said he would choose someone who would be ready to be president. There really wasn't someone else better qualified out there? I kinda think there probably was.

I haven't read this myself yet, but I saw on a message board that she apparently supports teaching creationism.

If it's all the same to y'all, I'd prefer we keep that glass ceiling intact for a little while longer.

Michelle said...

McCain's pick annoyed me, too. Grrr... I hated how they made such a big deal out of a woman being a running mate...hello? What about Gerraldine Ferrao? I think Hillary supporters are too smart to fall for Mc Cain's little stunt.

Jess said...

I agree that they are too smart. But I worry about those who are super pissed off.

I mean, I am one spiteful bitch. So I kind of understand their angle. Or, I guess I could understand it if there wasn't so much at stake here. This isn't just screwing yourself to make a point to other people. I don't see how they can think it's a good idea to screw the entire country. Haven't we had enough of that for a while?

Julie said...

Are we that dumb as women that we would vote for someone with a voting record opposite of Hillarys? I would say no, but then I remember that 52% of this country re-elected Bush.

Kev said...

It's really good to see and hear that women are outraged about this. My wife is, that's for sure. Anyway, I don't know if any of you got to see Bill Kristol's face, but it was priceless. The classic "Aw, fuck!" look. Even the neo-cons are about to jump ship.

Diana said...

Do they really think women in this country are all vacuous ninnies who will vote for Palin simply because we all have vaginas?

Yup. Pretty much.

Jen said...

And now her 17 year old is pregnant. So much for "family values". Oh and preaching abstinence.

Jess said...

And the knocked up daughter is getting married, too. Man, I guess if you're going to ruin your life, you might as well go all the way.