24 August 2008

Just what I needed?

Going home is usually rather stressful for me. My mom is a lunatic, my siblings are constantly at each other's throats (I get in on that shit, too) ... you know, family shit.

But this weekend just seemed different. Maybe it was just because I'd been under so much fucking stress lately it was nice to go and have people cook for me and kinda take care of me. I had people around me all weekend who I love dearly and who I know love me back.

Highlights:
    Beautiful weather.
    Being able to see the stars.
    Laughing until I cried more times than I can count.
    Going for a long walk with the dog.
    Eating entirely too much good food.
    My aunt telling me my complexion looked lovely (then I must have done an excellent job covering up all my zits. Thanks!).
    Free booze.
    Hugs, hugs and more hugs.
    Watching the wind ripple through the fields.
    Mom telling someone I was "quite the good cook."
    Wrestling with my nephew.
    Everyone telling me how great I looked, despite the fact that I felt totally gross.
    Not having to talk about my job too much.
    Sitting on the couch, watching baseball with a buzz and rubbing the dog's belly as she laid next to me.
    Hearing new and old family stories. Oh, and family gossip.
    Coming home with steaks, pork chops, a ton of herbs (enough basil to make pesto), apples I picked with my family from our own trees (and they are organic to boot!), potatoes, carrots, onions, cucumbers, green beans, oatmeal raisin cookies and green peppers. Oh, and new sandals.

I'm exhausted and I've been cooking and doing laundry since I got home. But dammit -- I had a good weekend. I might just be able to face the week.

2 comments:

Alaina said...

Glad you had a good weekend. I'm a little late reading... but vaca you know... :-)

Jess said...

What is this "vaca" of which you speak?