24 June 2008

You should read this book.

Andrew Wice, one of the delightful contributors at I Dislike Your Favorite Team, published a novel back in April. I would have written about it a while ago, but I have a silly habit of testing things out before I present them to you, dear readers and tell you to spend your hard-earned money on them. I mean, I wouldn't be telling y'all to go out and buy Bacon Salt if I'd not tried it myself and found it to be heavenly. Nor would I have told the hooterific among you to go out and get your girls an Enell sports bra if I'd not tried it and found it to hold my melons in place like you can't even begin to imagine.

So, because it took me a few weeks after it was published to order Mr. Wice's novel (stupid unemployment) and a few more weeks after that to get a chance to read it (stupid life), I'm just coming to you with this now. I'm very sorry to be such a slacker.

Better late than never, though. Right? I finally had the chance to sit down and read To The Last Drop while traveling back from New York on Friday. I started it when I sat down at the Legends Sports Bar in JFK and read until soccer started. Once I went to my gate, I pretty much didn't put it down. When I deplaned in Minneapolis, I had maybe 20 pages left. It was lateish. I'd had a very long day in cars and airports and on planes. I was exhausted. I had to shower. Unpack. Eat. But not before I finished To The Last Drop.

It was a real page-turner. I enjoyed it immensely. I'll be honest, after reading the first little bit about the life cycle of the water molecule when Andrew posted the first chapter or whatever on IDYFT, I wasn't sure I would like it. So I didn't bother finishing what I'd downloaded, opting instead to wait and read the entire book at once. I think I made the right choice. His bad guys are your stock evil characters. And that was just fine for me, because I didn't want to feel any empathy for them at all. Well, except for Taylor Jon Bridges. At the end, I absolutely understood his actions. The rest of the characters -- the good guys, I suppose -- they're all written very well. They were all very compelling.

Here's a synopsis from Andrew's site:

When a slacker biologist accidentally discovers water in the parched desert of New Mexico, a war erupts.

Texas invades New Mexico, renaming the territory "New Texas."

A desperate insurgency fights the occupation with a brutal terror campaign in the cites, mountains and deserts.


To The Last Drop dramatizes today's global water crisis. This novel illuminates the development of the Southwest, the relationship between occupation and terrorism, and our unquenchable thirst for water.

You should buy it. Seriously. It is a good book. Plus, he went to Macalester, so he has local ties. Don't let the fact that he is friends with Big Blue Monkey deter you.

I wish I knew what happened to my Zia Crossbones stickers Andrew sent to me last year. One would look bad-fucking-ass next to my Bacon Salt sticker on my Guitar Hero guitar.

No comments: