09 June 2008

Overwhelmed.

Sweet buttery Christ. I think my brain melted this afternoon. I've never had a training like this in my employment career. This week and next are packed full. The week after is partly packed, as is the following. Yeesh.

It was alternately really exciting and I felt really stoked about working there and about all of the opportunities that are out there in front of me. But the next moment I felt like I was a complete fraud and there's no way I could possibly do this job. But I'm sure that's just first-day/first-week jitters.

Everyone is so friendly. They all love working there and they all seem to think their coworkers are just the best. people. ever. It's creepy and awesome at the same time. They're all so excited for me to be joining them. Then again, I got that same message at my last job. And we all know how that went.

My boss's boss took me to lunch. We spent much more time talking sports than we did talking about work stuff. Excellent! He's yet another Packers fan who, upon hearing I broke up with the Vikings, said I would be welcomed with open arms in the the Green and Gold fold.

We were talking about something kind of work related and he said that he thinks about me sometimes -- because his neighbors work for a newspaper. I always wonder how I can make an impression on people like that. It's weird. I think I'm pretty forgettable and relatively invisible, but every now and again something like that pops up and I just don't get it. I guess there are worse things, right?

It sounds like I might get some writing opportunities relatively quickly. The last guy I met with apparently heard about my writing abilities and said he is talking to my bosses to see if I can work with his group to do some writing. I'm still not entirely sure what his group does or how I fit in with what they do, but I'm all about taking opportunities to write when I can.

4 comments:

Brian in Mpls said...

Twist a nice fat one.

JP said...

Do you work at my company... it sounds like the mindless crap here about how everyone loves everything!

scargosun said...

This sounds like a great job. Don't worry about the jitters. They are overloading you with info so you can apply it later or ask more specific questions when they come up.

Jess said...

Wouldn't it be bitchin' if I worked at your company, JP? Alas.

I know they're overloading me and they know it, too. It's just ... well, overload. Just gotta get through these first couple of weeks.