05 June 2008

Oh, Science, I love you!

I take back all the bad things I said about you for saying my drinking is going to give me the Breast Cancer and make my bladder explode and whatnot. From the New York Times: New Hints Seen That Red Wine May Slow Aging.

Maybe this explains why I get carded all the time buying red wine?

I can't decide which part of the story I like best, though. There is the fact that at least on the weekend, I have the time to drink enough wine to actually make a difference: The Wisconsin scientists used a dose on mice equivalent to just 35 bottles a day. But red wine contains many other resveratrol-like compounds that may also be beneficial. Taking these into account, as well as mice’s higher metabolic rate, a mere four, five-ounce glasses of wine “starts getting close” to the amount of resveratrol they found effective, Dr. Weindruch said.

I mean, I could stop going to the gym to be sure I can get my four glasses in on a weeknight, but I'm guessing that is probably not the best course of action. Nor should my sleep suffer too much in the quest to remain younger. Perhaps I just need to be more efficient in my weeknight wine consumption. Even better is the fact that four glasses of wine is one less than considered binge drinking. This is just keeps getting better and better.

The other cool part of the story was this: Some scientists are already taking resveratrol in capsule form, but others believe it is far too early to take the drug, especially using wine as its source, until there is better data on its safety and effectiveness. Because, if you can't dope yourself up on potentially-beneficial compounds that you've discovered, why the fuck be a scientist?

The Boy I Currently Like told me to be careful, lest I start reverse aging like Jonathan Winters on Mork & Mindy. Ass. But really, doesn't that kind of happen when you drink too much, red wine or otherwise? If you're not careful, you end up an incoherent, drooling, possibly incontinent mess who needs adult supervision and care. So, you know, be careful and stuff.

1 comment:

scargosun said...

Why the hell would anyone want to take wine in a pill!?