03 June 2008

Feels like I'm 10 all over again.

I didn't think I would really be upset when Hilary Clinton lost the Democratic nomination for president. I certainly didn't think I'd cry about it. Oh, but I did. It really is reminiscent of the way I felt when I was 10 years old.

When I was 10, I was completely gutted when Walter Mondale and Geraldine Ferraro lost the election. But I'd already been devastated for months because here I was, just 10 years old and unable to vote for not only the Democratic presidential candidate from my home state, I was unable to vote for the first female major-party vice presidential candidate.

What, doesn't every 10-year-old pine to vote? So I'm a dork.

But holy shit, a woman on the ticket? Of course, Mondale and Ferraro got their asses whupped. Quite frankly, it wasn't that long ago that I was convinced I'd never see a female president in my lifetime. Then again, there was a point when I thought I wouldn't live to see 30. Thanks a fucking lot, Reagan.

In the interest of full disclosure, I waited until the very last minute to cast by vote between Clinton and Obama at the caucus. And honestly, I voted for Clinton because Kucinich and Edwards had already dropped out. I'm happy to have a candidate in Obama that I don't hate a little, as I did with Kerry in 2004. You'd never have known it though, what with the work I did for Music for America (now The League of Young Voters) and all my Kerry/Edwards buttons and signs.

Maybe some day we'll break that ultimate glass ceiling. In the meantime, Obama '08, motherfuckers.

8 comments:

Jen said...

I had someone tell me the other day that she felt sorry for people who were voting for Obama because they'd obviously been duped. Uh, what? I just smiled and asked her how much she was paying these days to fill up the tank of her Excursion. I'm getting cranky in my old age.

Jess said...

Pffft. Anyone who has ever voted for any candidate has probably been at least a little duped.

Michelle said...

Longtime lurker, first time poster. I was really sad too that Hillary didn't get the nomination. I am, however, hoping that Obama asks her to be his VP. Hillary rocks. She really handled her situation very well.

Jess said...

Aaaaaaaaaaah! I love it when longtime lurkers finally comment.

It will be interesting to see if he does ask her. I've heard that a lot of party muckety-mucks are pushing really hard for it.

And in the interest of even more full disclosure, I might have leaned toward Hilary over Obama because it would have meant Bill Clinton would be back in the White House.

But at the end of the day, it's totally fucking disappointing that it is 2008 and we have had neither a woman as president nor as vice-president. I mean, we've only even had one woman on a major-party presidential ticket and that was as second banana 24 years ago.

Jerious Norwood said...

I'm not unsympathetic to the notion of having faced a completely irrational, arbitrary, and systematically stultifying oppression your entire life, and then watching the best hope to win the presidency (perhaps for another generation) lose to a man who at the very least doesn't have to content with virulent hatred that is tolerated if not unabashedly endorsed by the mainstream. That sucks to be sure.

But you know what? What sucks more is that Hillary Clinton, that racist fucking charlatan, has done great harm to feminism (if not narrowly defined to only include straight, white women) and progressive thought in general in the past few months, and yet still manages to elicit praise and adulation.

Hillary doesn't deserve an once of intellectual respect for this race baiting lowest common denominator campaign style.

Yeah it sucks that Obama's victory provides fucks like Chris Matthews cover to be able to be vindictive chauvinist bastards. And it sucks the World is still a arbitrarily cruel and oppressive place for everyone (not least women) who isn't a straight, white man. But what doesn't suck is that Clinton isn't going to be able to use her political soapbox to cynically misrepresent and hijack the very soul progressive thought.

Though I am sorry you feel bad about it.

Jerious Norwood said...

You mean the racist "charlatanism". Thats pretty kinky, for a progressive chick I mean.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kimberle-crenshaw-and-eve-ensler/feminist-ultimatums-not-_b_85165.html

Jerious Norwood said...

Man I hate it when famous legal theorists are more articulate than me.

"As feminists our freedoms have been hard won and we'd like to think that we have learned from our mistakes along the way. The feminism we fought so hard for and benefited from was not to make us blind to the complexity, but to help us see beyond simple formulas and body politics."

Though she's probably had a few less gin tonics than me to this point.

Jess said...

Dammit, Jerious. You're too quick. I deleted my comment for saying "party" instead of "part."

Perhaps it is her charlatanism that appeals to me most.

As for her hijacking of the very soul of progressive thought, you're right. She's not progressive enough for me. Nor is Obama. Edwards was better. Kucinich was even better.

Fuck. I hate being part of the fringe.


Everyone needs more gin and tonics, I think. Booze will bring us all together.