14 June 2008

Expecting the worst.

So, I was reading reviews of my hotel on tripadvisor. And, well ... I'm pretty fucking terrified of it. The reviews have mentioned everything from not-working TVs and internet (see, no point in taking the laptop with me) to closed bars and no room service to broken equipment in the fitness center to dirty rooms and bathrooms to BEDBUGS AND FLEAS.

BEDBUGS.

FLEAS.

Look, I know the rooms are going to be minuscule. I'm okay with that. Room service is ridiculously expensive and I wouldn't use it anyway. And I'm okay with the place being old. But dirty? DO NOT WANT. I'm not really high maintenance or anything, but dammit, I want a clean hotel room.

I know I'm being a big baby about this, but I really don't want to go. New jobs are stressful enough, but add in the fact that I'm having to travel right away and it's almost a little too much. Plus, I kind of feel like they're just throwing me to the wolves. No one has explained expensing or anything like that. It damn well better be okay for me to take a cab to my hotel from the airport. How do I get reimbursed for my subway fare? God, and I'm going to eat horribly all week.

At the end of the day, I'm sure I'll have a lovely time. I'm really looking forward to being able to spend some time with my aunt and uncle. For whatever reason, my mom gave me a hundred bucks to take with me. I wonder how much she's giving my sister for her trip to Greece and Turkey? She'll probably use her money for something other than drinking. But that's where my cash is going.

I'm taking a wee notebook with me to take notes for a wrap-up blog post when I return. My camera is all charged up and ready to go, too. I'll miss you guys!

5 comments:

I'm Frank said...

We'll miss you and your drunken complaints as well. Try to enjoy yourself and hurry back!

Muffy Willowbrook said...

Good Luck, Jess! I really hope you don't have bedbugs, and will pray that you have a clean, albeit teeny room.

Have a great training week and will look forward to your return!

Beth said...

When I started interning at my office, they sent me to a different office for training. Granted, it was only a difference between Long Island and New York, but I knew nothing about the company or expensing. I forgot to get half of the receipts for my subway rides and things and ended up eating a lot of the money because I couldn't get reimbursed without receipts.

Horrible.

scargosun said...

When you get there...go to a cornerstore and buy a can of lysol. It can be like a security blanket.

Jess said...

Hotel not bad, save for a snafu over who was paying. I almost couldn't check in at all last night.

Was upgraded to a king room that is not miniscule. Not terribly clean. Smells a bit odd. Found a Hong Kong dollar just under the bed while on the phone with The Boy I Currently Like right after I got in.

LONG DAY of travel. Left home at 10:45 a.m. Central, arrived to hotel at 10:15 p.m. Eastern.

No probs getting to office on the subway. Trying to get to the 'burbs tonight might be another story.

More laters.