06 June 2008

Done and done. Almost.

It's the Last Day of this rather awful job. Of course, I'm busy. And have been busy all week. At least the time isn't dragging by.

This morning I was supposed to have my exit interview. That has not happened yet. At some point in the last couple of weeks I was supposed to sit down with my direct supervisor (the one with the Food Issues) and the Boss Man. Neither of those things happened, either. Do they realize that they will never learn if they don't take the time to find out what they might be doing wrong or could be doing differently? Guess not.

I'm feeling guilty, especially for leaving my coworkers with such a heavy load of work. But ... well, I just couldn't stay here. And I know they understand because I'm just the last in a series of seat-fillers here. Though, apparently, I was the best they've had and I will be sorely missed.

And now we've got a last-minute bid to get out today. Sweet! I should go so I can get out of here and make my 5:45 Happy Hour at the Herkimer.

6 comments:

scargosun said...

Whoo hoo!! Congrats on your last day. I am having a glass of wine tonight in your honor!

Jerious Norwood said...

Hold on a sec. I take a short hiatus from reading and you're all of the sudden leaving the job? What happened? Last time I read an episode, our intrepid heroine was being yelled at for errors she wasn't committing and considering deflowering a young cute boy that worked there. How did this happen? I think you owe your readership a recap. If you know anything about your audience, its that they're kinda lazy, slacker types. You can't just change the story arch so quickly without any foreground.

Jerious Norwood said...

And yes it has occurred to me that I could read the archives, but if I had that kind of motivation... well, I'd be sucking the marrow out of something and I certainly wouldn't be writing this comment.

Jess said...

Oh, Jerious. Like I'm going to make you put in any extra effort.

The job was horrible is what happened. I got yelled at on my second day. Not even the young cutie was enough to keep me there when there were mice pooping on my desk and decomposing in my computer. Not to mention the fact that my bosses were mostly incompetent.

Another company recruited me away. Better benefits, shorter commute (I can even take public transportation) and I'm back in my field of research.

Didn't have my exit interview, didn't even speak to the head of the department on my last day. But they want me to call if the new gig doesn't work out. Not bloody likely.

Apologies in advance for typos/errors. I've been at happy hour for a while.

Jerious Norwood said...

You got hired away. Sweet. How does that happen?

Jess said...

It's a long and arduous process, as it turns out.

I was really wary when it started. An HR consultant for the company called (my resume was on Monster, I think) and we had a chat about whether or not I should have a real interview.

Every time I've ever been in a job search and posted my resume on Monster, I'd get all these stupid calls about selling insurance or doing financial planning and this time was no different, except I did get some actual recruiters calling this time around. So, that's why I was wary.

But the job sounded like it might actually be something that was in kind of in my field. And quite frankly, it couldn't possibly be worse than where I was working, right? So, I had the first interview over the phone. A couple of weeks later I had a second interview (in-person with one guy and on the phone with a couple of other people). Then there was more chatting and I wrote a research memo. Then there was another conversation about that. Finally, I got the offer.

It all started around my second week or so at the Bad Job. Probably took about six weeks from start-to-finish.

Now, of course, I'm terrified of sucking at my new job and feeling guilty about leaving the old one. I can't fucking win.