10 June 2008

Cookies.

There was a welcome for me today. Wait. What? A welcome? With cookies? You must be joking. Can't say I've ever had one of those before. It's just more shit for me to try to take in and then forget. I'll never remember all the names.

I went to lunch with some people in my ... department? Or, they do the same kind of work I do? Something like that. Anyway, they're pretty fun. And catty as fuck. I kinda like that. Turns out one of my coworkers is from the next town over from my hometown and we know a lot of the same people. We graduated the same year. He was a wrestler; he wrestled with my step-cousins when I was a wrestling statistician. Small fucking world. And when he said he wrestled, I said, "I knew it!" Some guys just have that wrestling body and there's no denying it.

Oooooh, also! I finally got my travel arrangements squared away. My hotel is in fucking Times Square. Check out the pictures of the rooms -- they look like shoe boxes. Awesome. There's a business center, so maybe I can get a blog post or two in. But really, if I'm staying in Times Square, how can I not get out and see shit? Um, because it's Times Square and it will be crawling with tourists who will make me stabby? Possibly. I'm glad there is a fitness center. I could just work, go back to the hotel and work out and then sit in one of the bars and drink until bed. I don't see what is wrong with that.

Sounds like I'll get to spend as much time with my aunt and uncle as I want. Or at least dinner Monday or Wednesday and then a tapas party at some friend's office in Soho on Thursday. Holy fucking fancy, Batman. They don't want to hog all of my time, but I don't think I have anything else to do. I'm not even sure how much I'll want to do. I mean, I'm sleeping an extra hour and I'm still exhausted at the end of the day. I can't imagine how exhausted being away from home and navigating the subway and tourists and NEW YORK in general is going to make me.

I think City Wendy might live near where I'm staying. Maybe I should shoot her a note. Or if any of my dear readers want to grab a drink, I would entertain that notion. I'm still looking to ruin my mostly excellent streak of Meeting People From The Internet. Drop me a line if you're interested.

2 comments:

scargosun said...

They gave you cookies!? That is the sign of a good workplace. Go hit Times Square. Relax and have fun with it. Go have a drink at that touristy place that everyone goes to. Why not?

Jess said...

I think the cookies were more to get other people to come and meet me. Lord knows I will bribe people with cookies in my personal life to get them to like me. So I think it's okay in my professional life.

Feeling SO MUCH better today. And I'm getting excited about going to New York. I'm scoping out bars in the neighborhood for after work when I'm not doing family stuff. It's going to be awesome. Right?

Right?