26 May 2008

Pork! Guitar Hero! Long Weekend!

Okay, I only ate pork twice over the weekend, but I've been eating such little meat as of late that it seemed like as good a subject for this post as anything else might be.

I suppose my long weekend post actually starts before the weekend. Late Friday I gave my two weeks notice at work. My boss was surprised and sad. My coworkers were not at all surprised, but totally bummed. Who will bring them cookies now? Seriously, there was much cursing when I dropped the news on them. Awwwwwwww. Cute Coworker asked if I had started looking on my second day. He also told me later that he was authorized to offer me $1 million to stay and to let that marinate over the weekend. When I relayed that bit to the 'rents I told them they could offer me $15,000 more a year and I wouldn't stay. It's that bad.

After I dropped the bomb on the coworkers, they did straight-up say that the position has been a revolving door as long as they have been there. And I knew this, but it was good to hear someone say it out loud. It also busts the bosses. They flat-out lied when they told me it was a new position. Oh sure, it has a new name, but it's the same position that has been making employees leave constantly. Honestly. How many times does it have to happen before they figure out that they are the problem? Whatever. It's not my problem any more.

As I mentioned in yesterday's post, KayGee and The Prison Librarian came over for brat night on Saturday. It's something we do every now and again. They come over, I cook up some brats made from the pigs my dad raises and we have tasty fucking sides (potato salad and baked beans this time) and appetizer-y things and we drink and chat and it's always fucking awesome. I made Blondies for dessert. Holy delicious, y'all. We played Wii, too. I still don't have a second guitar, so KayGee and I had to alternate songs when we played Guitar Hero III. It had been entirely too long since I got some alone time with those girls. It was a lovely, lovely evening.

Yesterday, I spent a good chunk of the day in the southern suburbs doing some visiting. My goddaughter turned 10 on Thursday. I went out to deliver her present and visit with my friends. Her four-year-old brother had me in fucking stitches. Then I went to my sister's place because my nephew turns 10 on Wednesday and I had to give him his present. I beat them to the house, and when they came in my nephew said, "Do you want to stay for dinner to celebrate your new job?" Ach. My heart can't take that shit, y'all. So we hung out and ate pork chops from the farm. My nephew and I played Guitar Hero III for a while. He somehow had me playing on Hard and he barely beat me. Yay me! I'd just been playing on Easy the night before.

Today was all domestic. I did laundry and cooked. And of course, I had to do dishes because of the cooking. One of the things I made required roasted garlic, so I roasted some garlic for the first time ever. That was exciting. Sad that I think it's exciting, yes? Oh well.

And now I've got to do the final prep for the work week. I can hold on to the knowledge that I have just nine days left at this mouse-infested crap hole. I'll eat at my desk without shame or worry. I will wear jeans my remaining Fridays. I'll get there when I fucking get there in the morning. I'm less stoked about it at the moment than I should be, but I'm starting to stress about the new job already. Someday this will all settle down and I'll settle into a rhythm. I just have to hold on until then.

8 comments:

geoff said...

Life is good.

Jess said...

Yeah, it's not too bad. It would be better if I wasn't at work, though.

scargosun said...

Nice! So glad you gave your 2 weeks. It is so satisfying, isn't it?

I'm Frank said...

You shoulda said something like, "You'd have to offer me that million dollars, and a promise that there will never be any more MOUSE SHIT ON MY DESK."

Muffy Willowbrook said...

Man, that's great news. Ticks me off the bosses lied, but now you can rest easy that you weren't the cookoo one. They are.

I'm gonna go buy me some brats to eat tonight. You made them sound so good!

Jess said...

It is nice to have the giving notice thing out of the way. And I'm glad to get confirmation that all the horribleness wasn't just in my head.

Maybe I should take a dump on someone's desk on my last day so they know what it feels like to come in to having poop on your desk.

JP said...

please don't dump on other peoples desks...

Jess said...

Aw, you never let me have any fun.

I'm starting to feel guilty. I guess they really like me and think I've kicked every previous person's ass who held this position.