21 May 2008

Not a bad day.

I mean, as Wednesdays tend to go. I was pretty tired, but I'm always fucking tired by midweek. Or Tuesday. Okay, Monday. It was nice out. I totally fucking rocked monkey pose in yoga tonight like is wasn't no thang. Well, I didn't get the arms in. But I wasn't aware until I looked for a photo that the arms were even a part of the pose. We do it so rarely in my classes, and quite frankly, the only people in my class tonight who could do the pose were me and my instructor. My hips were open as fuck y'all.

Sure, Cute Coworker and I got yelled at several times today for things getting missed and tiny errors that may or may not have been our fault. But you know what? I don't give a shit because I accepted a job offer today. I'm going to be a research analyst again, but doing business research. It's a great opportunity to expand my knowledge base -- I'll be working with different kinds of data in a different setting. Initially, I was a little worried about going from public policy to business, but through the process I've realized that I'm really, really curious. If someone presents me with a question, I want answers. And that is that.

I haven't said much about the whole process as I was going through it. I'm not really sure why, but it was a conscious decision. It's been a lengthy process -- around a month. And I was recruited by the company, which was a little weird. They finally called late yesterday to make the offer. I guess I had them a little worried when I asked for a day and the benefits information to look over. Truth be told, I had another interview last week, but it was for a temporary (six to nine months) research position. While that gig was more in my field and probably more prestigious, at this point I'm looking for security. And benefits.

They're still trying to figure out my start date. I will have to go to New York for training and I think they're trying to get that all figured out before we confirm things. So, I'm waiting on that confirmation to give notice at my current shit hole. And yes, I'm a sucker because I'm giving two weeks notice. I won't be using them for a reference and I hate it there, but I guess I just can't be that much of a dick. I'm sure this will some how come back to screw me.

So, since the end of January, I've lost a job, started a job and I'm about to quit that job and start another. Hello, stressful situations! I'm a little surprised at how well I've held it together. Which is not that well, but it so could have been worse. You guys have been super supportive as have all my friends and family. Hugs for all!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats! I'm glad you found something better.

--longtime lurker--

Cosmos

Jess said...

Aw, you broke your lurker status just for that? Thanks, Cosmos!

Jen said...

You did a good job of keeping it a secret! Congrat, Jess. You rock!

Alaina said...

Congrats! You rock! On the pose and the position! ha! they're still the same whoops! Well you know what I mean.

scargosun said...

ROCK ON! I am SO glad you are getting out of there. Reading about your workplace reminded me of my last one. *shudder*

geoff said...

I'm kind of mad that I didn't save all of your bacon until now. This is cause for celebacon! Get it? Celebration-celebacon?

Ugh. I should just quit while I'm ahead.

Jess said...

Thanks, y'all. I didn't really mean for it to be a secret.

It's just been so frustrating to talk about this thing or that thing and then people are always asking, "Hey, did you hear anything about that job?" And the answer has been either, "No," or "Yeah. I didn't get it. Thanks for reminding me constantly about my continuing failure. It's great for my self-esteem."

Geoff, the bacon kept me going through many a dark day. I'm glad you didn't hoard it all until the end.

In other bacon-related matters, I think I really have a reason to have a bacon party now.

JP said...

WAY TO GO!!!

Muffy Willowbrook said...

Congratulations Jess! So very happy for you and your success!

How exciting you get to go to NY, too! What a perk!

Good for you!

Christine said...

Yay! Congratulations!

Jess said...

Thanks, you guys. You've all been so great while I've dealt with all this bullshit.

I believe I'll be giving my notice tomorrow. I need to get if over with soon.