12 May 2008

Home Skillet.

Tonight I gave my new skillet a test drive. And holy crap, y'all -- I love it! How have I managed to get along without a deep, 12-inch skillet all my life?

My test recipe was Peanut Noodles. Well, I used that as a base. I added garlic (two of the biggest cloves I've ever seen in my entire life), doubled the red pepper flake and at least tripled the ginger. I used whole wheat spaghetti and rice wine vinegar instead of regular spaghetti and cider vinegar. Oh, and I added red bell pepper and shrimp.

It is fucking tasty as hell. I'm impressed with myself. This is totally something I could make for other people. It's nice that I can experiment with stuff and then take it for lunch for a few days if it works out. While I'm fairly confident in my baking skills, I really feel like my regular cooking skills can be somewhat suspect. Cooking allows you to be creative. I'm not creative. This is why baking, with all of it's precision really appeals to me.

Oh sure, I'll experiment with trying to make healthier baked goods. But substituting Egg Beaters for eggs or applesauce for oil is still a precise thing. It's not adding shit or completely changing things out. Still, though, today I feel like I've taken a big step forward. Yay me! I got a little creative with a recipe and it turned out well.

It'll be back-to-the-basics for dinner tomorrow night. The Boy I Currently like is coming over and we're going to have chicken and mashed potatoes. I'm totally getting a rotisserie chicken. God, I'm obsessed with those things. I have no idea why. I think because I can get so many different uses out of them. I buy one every other week or so and after I pick at it for a bit, I pull all the meat off and use it for sandwiches or quesadillas or chicken pot pie (or just eating it out of the container when I come home from the gym because I'M STARVING)... and now I can see myself using it in the peanut noodles. Mmmmmmmmmmmm!

Clearly, I'm growing up if I'm getting excited about cooking. Or I need a life. These things probably go hand-in-hand.

10 comments:

Tex said...

Nah, you're just discovering another of the joys of life.

You may find some others out there too if ya keep looking.

Jess said...

Ah, it sounds so much more awesome when you put it that way. Thanks, Tex!

Brian in Mpls said...

Damn that sounds good

Jess said...

Supposedly, it's better cold/the day after. I guess I'll find out if that's true later on today.

Muffy Willowbrook said...

that recipe looks amazing jess! So impressed you used rice vinegar, too. Very nice.

What's in your peanut sauce?

Jess said...

Oh, why thank you, Muffy my dear! Rice vinegar just seemed to make more sense in an Asian-y dish, you know?

As for the peanut sauce, it's basically what's in the recipe, save for my addition of garlic. I almost left out the sugar, because I used regular ol' Skippy peanut butter and I thought maybe that would be too sweet, but it is just right.

scargosun said...

That looks SOOO good! Also, I LOVE rotisseie chickens as well. For awhile I was put off from them b/c I grapped one and got home and looked at the time it was cooked...it was flippin' 10 hours earlier. It had been sitting in the heating thing for that long. Ick.
They are too good to pass up. Also, although roasting your own chicken is easy, the rotisserie is easier clean up IMHO. :) I have a REALLY good orzo, tomoato thing I make with cooked chicken if you want it. Easy to double, easy to half.

Alaina said...

Yum! What time is dinner?

I'm getting into cooking more now too... I'm good at it... I just don't do much of it because it's just me... and most times I don't want to eat the same thing for a couple of days.

Jess said...

Scargosun -- I'm absolutely sure roasting my own chicken would be a snap. One of these lazy weekends, I am totally going to do it. I'm totally interested in this orzo and chicken thing! Please share.

I know what you mean about the leftovers, Alaina. I can do the same thing for lunch for about three days before I get completely turned off by it. It's tough cooking for yourself. My stupid freezer is tiny, too, so I can't really freeze leftovers to use later.

Shelby said...

"I'm not creative. This is why baking, with all of it's precision really appeals to me. "

That is me, to a T. When left to my own devices...I basically starve. So good for you for letting out some of that creativity and getting good at it! I love food...I wish I could make myself more than toast and ramen...