13 May 2008

Damn you, fancypants coffee.

I hate it when a more expensive version of something is miles better than a cheaper version. Over the last few weeks, the French Roast coffee I'd been getting for ages from Trader Joe's was not tasting good at all. I was choking it down in the morning. The smell was awful and the taste it left in my mouth? GROSS. When I ran out, I grabbed some Eight O'Clock French Roast. That was even worse. And I've always liked the Eight O'Clock beans in the past. What the fuck?

Sunday, I went to Lunds mainly because I wanted to grab some flowers for my sister (for being a mom and all). But I needed coffee filters and was about to run out of my gross Eight O'Clock beans, so I bought coffee as well (and a bunch of expensive cheese, too. Honestly, I shouldn't even be allowed in there). I was looking to grab something lame and cheap because usually the brand of coffee isn't that important to me. I can often make cheap shit taste just as good as expensive beans.

I ended up with Lunds & Byerly's (at least it's the store brand?) Organic French Roast. I didn't mean to go all fancypants, but I hadn't had any coffee yet. I was operating in a fog. Plus, it was on sale and the organic version was only 50 cents more than the non-organic. The Eight O'Clock beans got the heave-ho last night when I set everything up so I could just turn on the coffee maker this morning.

Sweet Baby Jesus, this coffee is delicious. I'm in love. I cannot remember the last time I had coffee this good. It is so much better than anything I've made at home or anything I've bought. Though, I rarely go out to buy coffee. I stopped at the Urban Bean on Saturday because I'd forgotten to buy filters, but other than that, I can't remember the last time I stopped at a Caribou or God forbid, Starfucks.

Now I'm going to have to visit Lunds semi-regularly. This is a bad idea because I always spend entirely too much money there. But this coffee rocks my socks, so I have no choice.

9 comments:

Muffy Willowbrook said...

I dont' drink coffee, but I'm all about the expensive cheeses.

Jess said...

I knew you'd feel my expensive-cheese pain. I bought a rosemary cheddar on Sunday that was just delightful.

scargosun said...

Try the TJ's organic Sumatra. It is VERY good and I recently got hooked on it. I like strong coffee too but it has to be smooth.

I am also a cheese glutton. We have 3 gourmet cheese shops within 5 minutes of my home. Woe is me.

Jess said...

You know, I think I almost bought that last time I bought coffee at TJ's. I'll definitely give it a shot.

I totally wish I was at home eating cheese right now.

I'm Frank said...

Yeah...now that I live across the street from a Starbuck's, I hardly even make coffee anymore. I seriously think I am singlehandedly keeping that place financially afloat.

Muffy Willowbrook said...

drool.....

JP said...

I also don't drink coffee.. I just stop at Starbucks for the sights and a tea.

Alaina said...

mmmm I can smell the good coffee... nothing like it.

Did you know that the water you use is just as important as the beans. No kidding.

Jess said...

Muffy, we need to have a wine and cheese night.

JP, I would go to Starbucks for that kind of scenery, too.

Alaina -- yes! The water is totally important. I only use filtered water. It makes a huge difference.