08 April 2008

Guess what I'm doing right now?

Okay, well, not right now actually. I'm blogging right now. And I'm not even taking a break from said activity. That's all neither here nor there, really. What I was doing and am now finished doing? Working. At 7:30. PM. At home. On my fourth day.

My boss popped in to the office at 4:59 today with a bunch of things that needed to be copied. She was going to take them home to read them and then compare notes with me early tomorrow morning. Um, not before 8:00, lady. There are some deadlines hidden in there that might be coming up very soon and so we need to know about them.

Do I stay late? Bring the work home? Wait until I get in tomorrow and potentially still be working when the boss lady wants to compare notes? I've already been yelled at and quite frankly, I don't like being yelled at. Even when I know I'm being yelled at for something completely retarded.

So, I bring the work home. And I spend 10 minutes finding said deadlines. I considered e-mailing my boss to tell her what I found, but that would be opening a door I want to keep closed for as long as I can. If I indicate I'm willing or able to work outside regular business hours, these people will take advantage of me. And I do not want that to happen.

After just a few days at this place and getting trained in on things, I'm starting to get the feeling that these people are of the ilk who make everything a HUGE DEAL so they seem like they're so busy and such good workers and so fucking important. Pardon me while I roll my eyes out of my head. They've made all the stuff I've done thus far seem like it's going to be hard or something. And it isn't. Hence why I think I'll be bored and hate the job. In addition to the other reasons I'll hate the job.

Oh well. It's temporary. And I guess it's good I had to "work" tonight. Can't work out because I've got some pulled muscle or something in the middle of my back. I was nearly in tears after working out last night and I just did cardio. I just have to remember that it's better to take one night off and get a little rest than to push it and end up having to go to the doctor and/or take a couple of weeks off. So, I'm drinking instead. Yay!

6 comments:

Muffy Willowbrook said...

Two things:

It's smart to take a rest day if your body is hurting. Never force it. Good decision.

Ummmm - how do I say this?...they put YOU on a probationary 90 day period, and they are treating you like a tool? What's with the yelling at you on your second day, and now working late on your fourth day? Honestly - who do these people think they are?

I'm just saying.

Jess said...

Oh, I know it's a good decision. But something inside me is still screaming, "SLACKER!"

It's not probationary, it's temporary! And I'm glad they call it temporary and not probationary. It'll make me feel less bad when I (hopefully) up and quit.

Muffy Willowbrook said...

temporary - probationary...whatever.

they still thought they could get you in there for undue abuse for three months, and possibly pull the rug out from under YOU.

Not cool.

You should find a way to remedy this situation before they do.

JP said...

Is there any jobs that do not suck? I think not!

Christine said...

I think it's fair to say you hate this job right now.

In other news, there is a rumbling to go to Matt's Bar-- you should come-- like this weekend!

Jess said...

I do hate it and I am working on remedying the situation. My job search has not ceased. Nor have the interviews.

JP, I know there are jobs out there that don't suck. Or maybe they suck less than others?

Christine ... I bet Matt's Bar is a Saturday thing, isn't it? As it turns out, I'm already booked with an engagement party and 30th birthday party where I'm the DJ.