02 April 2008

First Day.

I made it through my first day back in the working world. As it turns out, the commute doesn't seem like it will be too bad. I should only be leaving about 15 minutes earlier than I had to leave for my old job. And coming home? That seems to be essentially the same as of today. But instead of being stuck on an overcrowded bus for nearly an hour, I was in my car, driving fast and singing along to the songs Mary Lucia was playing on The Current. For about 25 minutes.

There was little easing me in. I got the "orientation" and some stuff to read in the morning, but after lunch I was working. There is a lot for me to learn, but I fear I could end up getting bored fairly easily. But that is a bridge I'm going to try to avoid thinking about until it comes time to cross it.

The people seem nice. Everyone has asked if I prefer to be called "Jessica" or "Jess." One of my coworkers was out, as were the bosses. But the bosses both called to welcome me and tell me yet again how excited they were about me taking the job. God, I hope I don't disappoint them. My coworker who was there is quite the cutie. But he's young. We had an exchange this afternoon:

Cutie Coworker: "You're under 25, right?"
Jess: *hearty laughter* "Um no, I'm not. Not at all. I'm 34. But thanks!"
Cutie Coworker: "Seriously? I thought for sure you were and I wouldn't be the youngest person working here anymore."

I'm actually not working tomorrow, as I had a couple of previously-scheduled appointments and I'd probably only be in for half the day in the middle of the day. Since I had to start on a moment's notice, it'll be nice to be kind of eased in with a day on, a day off, a day on and then the weekend.

It's especially helpful because I am getting sick AGAIN. The Boy I Currently like is also coming down with a cold. He felt sick when he woke up this morning, but I didn't feel like I was coming down with yet another cold until I was at yoga tonight. Clearly, since he started feeling sick first, he was the one who got me sick, yes? He would have you believe I got him sick because I never really got better. He is wrong, though. WRONG!

6 comments:

I'm Frank said...

Congrats on the new job. I have to get another job this summer, in addition to the one I already have, and I'm afraid it's the kind of job that's going to make me do professional things, like show up before noon or put on pants.

Jess said...

Thanks!

Man, I've been there with the working two jobs thing. I did it for entirely too long. And I could easily be doing it now, but I just don't fucking want to.

And showing up before noon is one thing, but having to put on pants? Where do they get off?

Brian in Mpls said...

Thats awesome:) Nothing wrong with young boys

JP said...

I'm glad it went fairly well!!

Jerious Norwood said...

Actually I think young boys kinda suck. And I say this having been a young boy.

But congratulations on the new job. I have no doubt that you will 'rock the house' and be a run away success.

By the way, I just noticed that your 'I heart Dirty Rocker Boys' shirt is actually on a large bust. Who knew?

Jess said...

Thanks, y'all. I'm sure I'll rock them tomorrow with the coughing, sniffling and general foggy-headedness. If only they'd have let me start on Monday.

I must say I'm leaning toward agreeing with you on the subject of young boys, JN. Once you get past about four years difference it gets to be a bit much. This kid will be making me feel old in no time, I'm sure.

There must be some sort of internet conspiracy around the t-shirt and bust. Or something.