25 March 2008

Two years of bacony blogging goodness.

I suppose "goodness" is in the eye of the beholder. But, whatever. That's right, boys and girls, I made the very first post on I was told there would be bacon. two years ago today. Where the fuck has the time gone? As I mentioned last year on this day, I did have a blog on MySpace and I was writing on LiveJournal before that. But I consider this to be my real start in blogging. So, yay for two years of it!

I was thinking about having a party to celebrate, at one point. Some friends and I were talking about having a bacon-themed party and I was all, "Oh, I'll wait and do it for my blogiversary." Obviously, that's not going to happen. Besides, not all of my friends read my blog. So it seemed kind of silly. Guess I'll celebrate tonight the same way I drowned my sorrows last night -- red wine and Wii. Awesome!

It's interesting to look back and see where I was when I started this blog and where I was a year ago. Two years ago I was all upset about Whatshisfuckingface (God, I was such a fucking idiot) and that's why I started the blog. When I wrote on LiveJournal or in my paper journal before that and even some of the stuff on MySpace, I was writing because I was upset or stressed out or in a bad place. I've gotten away from that, though, I think. I keep writing when I'm happy and when things are going well, which is something I never used to do.

Last year, things seemed to be going just fine and dandy. Save for the fact that I was "slightly annoyed" by my job, of course. I'm now slightly annoyed to have no job. Hopefully that will be changing soon. Aside from that, my life is not too bad.

Aside from getting canned, what are the major developments in my life in the last year? I finally (*knocks on wood* *throws salt over shoulder* *wishes on star*) got rid of Booty Call Matt. And I did it the way I wanted to do it the first time -- by pretty much just ignoring his phone calls. The previous time I tried to actually talk to him and break up, but that was futile. In fact, in the confessional that is a booth at Liquor Lyle's, I admitted to my friends on Friday that I never stopped seeing Booty Call Matt when I was with Whatshisfuckingface. Yes, I'm a horrible person. But I never really thought Whatshisfuckingface was being totally honest with me.

The thing with Booty Call Matt was getting a bit ... it was just enough, already, I guess. People knew me as the girl who had a mostly non-psycho booty call for more than three years. Trust me when I tell you this is not how you want people to remember you. It was a good run. Obviously, the sex was great or it wouldn't have lasted as long as it did. But there was a night at the end of September where we were making out and I thought to myself, "I am so bored with this." That was the last time I saw him. A day or two later, I asked The Boy I Currently Like out.

So I suppose that's something, too, meeting The Boy I Currently Like. That never would have happened without this blog. Or his. I got to meet Muffy, Bestie and Zennifer on the Ugly Christmas Sweater Pub Crawl. Muffy and I finally met JP just days after I was canned. I met a bunch of MNspeakers this summer at a Happy Hour. Geoff was my very first Wii friend. It's all a little surreal and totally awesome at the same time.

At the end of the day, I'm amazed that so many of y'all read the shit I post. I don't fully understand it, but I'm glad that you do. Some of you have been my real-life friends for years and others of you are becoming real-life friends. You're there drinking with me when things are going well and when my life is in the shitter, you're there to offer encouragement and support. Over lots and lots of drinks.

Thanks.

14 comments:

Abysmal Chick said...

Happy Aniversary! I too starteded my blog after dating some stupid whatshisface ass. Feeling MUCH better now and have made lots of friends too. So have to go to bacon night this Saturday. It's like kismit.

Jess said...

Thanks! I guess we should thank those stupid dickwads for prodding us into blogging, huh?

It does seem like Bacon Night is kind of meant to be, doesn't it? I probably shouldn't be tempting fate by not going.

I'm Frank said...

Congrats on 2 years. I only started reading a few months ago, so I'll have to go back into the archives a bit. I'd like to still be writing two years from now. It's about time I finally committed to doing something without changing my mind a few weeks/months down the road.

Also, it is my dream to have a bacon-themed party. Maybe for college graduation...

Jess said...

Thanks, Frank. I'll be honest with you, the early shit isn't that good. You probably needn't bother with too much of the archives.

Everyone should have a bacon-themed party at some point in life, I think.

Jim Mora said...

Happy Anniversary Jess!

Jess said...

Thanks babe!

Look at me with Jerious Norwood and Jim Mora reading my blog. *feels special*

crushthemall said...

I love that I'm your first Wii friend. It's a shame I barely know how to utilize it to better establish relationships, gaming or otherwise...

Have I mentioned that Super Smash Brothers for the Wii is button mashingly amazing fun? It is.

Congrats on 2 years, and here's to many more!

Cheers!

Jen said...

Happy Anniversary, girl! If you've been blogging for 2 years that must mean I've known you for a zillion or so. Ah, the good ole days.

Love ya like a fat kid loves cake!Or bacon.

Muffy's Bestie said...

Happy Anniversary!! Thank god you had those horrible experiences and started a blog for ME to read!!! We need to get the gals together again for another happy hour and catch up.

Muffy Willowbrook said...

Thank god for your sweet bacon ass. I like knowing you, too.

Jess said...

Awww, thanks y'all.

*sniff* I seem to have something in my eye. And in the other eye.

JP said...

Cheers to another years worth of good stories!

Christine said...

That is so weird! The bacon bash on MnSpeak corresponds with your blog anniversary!

Jess said...

Hmmmm ... perhaps it is fate.