28 March 2008

This is how I figured it would happen.

Interview No. 9 was the one. I was there at 11:00 this morning and greeted by the oddest interview questions ever. I didn't want to go and I didn't really care one way or another about anything. Clearly, that attitude (or being sick) is my key to interviewing well. Even with the odd questions I knew it went well. The weird questions were refreshing and really made me think and there was a lot of laughing.

By 4:00 they'd offered me the job, but with a catch -- they want me to start MONDAY. As in the next business day. As in right after the weekend. Um, I know I said I was available pretty much immediately, but damn! Who moves that fast?

I managed to get them to give me Monday and Tuesday to check with my other prospects. It's not a great offer. There would be an actual pay cut. Plus I'd have to pay a considerable amount monthly for insurance. Plus it's a fucking hike -- 30 miles round trip. That all adds up to not just any old pay cut, but a pretty substantial pay cut. However, it is "temporary" for 90 days. Which means no benefits, either. And only one week of vacation a year? Wow, I'm totally talking myself out of this. But the "temporary" status would allow me to ask for a raise after 90 days. If that's something that is likely to happen, 90 days of making less than I was, but a buttload more than unemployment wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Honestly, I knew this would happen. This is my luck; the story of my life. I'd get an offer when there were potential jobs out there I wanted more and I'd have to make a decision before I was ready. But at least I have the decision to make. Do I want to take my chances or do I want to be working? I think we all know the answer to that one. I've been forced to control my spending big time for the past two months, so I absolutely know I can do it. It would make a pay cut less hard to take. If my first and second choice jobs say no, then obviously there is no decision. If they're not ready to decide ... tougher decision.

FUCK. I can always keep looking, but Jesus, that is the last thing I want to do. Crap, damn, hell, ass.

I guess I have the weekend to get drunk and mull things over. I'm getting started on that right now.

9 comments:

Muffy Willowbrook said...

Wow - that's tough. I would say stick it out for a job you really want, rather than take your first offer.

but...I'm not living on unemployment and going on massive interviews.

I could be talking out of my ass here.

Jess said...

Yeah, I just don't fucking know.

Brian in Mpls said...

Congrats kind of.. I am getting drunk for you too..let me know if it helps

Jess said...

It's totally helping.

JP said...

You could take the job and still keep looking.. I mean really 90 days. You might not like it once you start.

You can always quit... when you find something better.

Jess said...

That's the direction in which I'm leaning at the moment, JP. It would be a huge hassle to have to spend my severely-restricted free time looking for jobs and taking my lunch to interview, but making $300 less a month is way better than making half of my pay, which is what the dole gives me.

I have no idea what I'll do for clothes, though. After four years of wearing jeans and t-shirts to work I don't have much in the way of work-appropriate attire. Add in the 35 pounds I've lost and whatever I do have so doesn't fit.

JP said...

go to old navy and buy some cheap stuff... till you lose more!

Jess said...

Old Navy, Kohl's and clearance racks have been my dear, dear friends for the past year or so. No point in paying a lot of if I'm going to grow ... well, not out of it, but you know what I mean.

Christine said...

Did you take the new job?

It's a tough call, that's for sure.