26 March 2008

The hits just keep on comin'.

I scheduled Interview Number Nine today. That's nine interviews in eight weeks of unemployment and about 10 weeks of job searching. 'Cause I did start looking for a new gig before I was canned.

I've said it before, and I'm going to say it again: I'm really astounded by the response I've received. And my reach has been really limited this time around. In previous job searches, I've looked outside Minnesota. But I know now that Minneapolis is absolutely my home and not only am I just looking in the metro area on this job search; I'm trying my best to stay within Minneapolis and St. Paul. Maybe it's the master's degree. Maybe I've finally got enough experience. Maybe it's finally the right kind of experience. I can't say for sure, but whatever the reason, I'm glad.

Another of the odd things about this particular job search: this is at least the third job I've applied for and gotten a call for an interview just a few hours later. I really don't get that. But the best part is that they'll ask questions over the phone like, "Are you still interested?" "Do you recall applying for this position?" Look, I know I get distracted and have the attention span of a gnat sometimes, but yes, I do remember the stuff I did a few hours ago. Most of the time, anyway. This gig is way out in the 'burbs and probably not something I'd be too terribly interested in, but what can it hurt to interview?

Also, I'm over my insane freak out from Monday. I swear, I'm actually a fairly intelligent woman, but sweet Baby Jesus, I am a worrier. I will absolutely lose my mind and jump to the worst possible conclusion as quickly as possible if I'm given any opportunity at all to do so. Sometimes I realize on my own that things aren't nearly as bad as I made them out to be. Usually, though, I need other people to talk me down. Thankfully, I have a lot of people in my life who are willing to do that. Once I have a little perspective, I am able to have a hearty chuckle about how batshit insane I am sometimes. Besides, I think I did a great job on the writing sample. And KayGee said the same.

4 comments:

I'm Frank said...

9 interviews is pretty impressive. Back home in Detroit the economy is so abysmal that finding a job that pays anything is damn near impossible. It's my home and where my family lives, but once I graduate I'm staying here in Chicago because I'd kinda like to start working at a place other than Ford within 36 months of graduation.

Muffy Willowbrook said...

It's okay to go batshit insane sometimes - it's inevitable when you're constantly putting yourself out there.

Keep it up - you're doing great.

JP said...

I like to let the batshit out sometimes too!

9 interviews is great!

Jess said...

Yeah, sometimes you just need to let the batshit out. Otherwise you could end up actually crazy.

Frank, it's good you realize the economy in Detroit is the suck. It's also good that you're in a position to make a decision about where to live and work. Oh, to be young again.