17 February 2008

You say it's your birthday?



It's my birthday, too! Well, tomorrow. It is also Molly Ringwald's birthday tomorrow. Maybe that's why Sixteen Candles is my favorite movie. I've always felt such a kinship with her because we share a birthday. Or something.

My birthday celebration started last night with movie night at Sweetness's place. Where we watched ... can you guess what's coming here? Sixteen Candles and Better Off Dead. The night was kind of based on our Purple Rain party -- with theme food and drinking games. Sweetness even created a Sixteen Candles soundtrack for each of us. He had to go and find a list of the songs played in the movie and then track down each song, because the soundtrack is out-of-print. He totally fucking rules.

As much as I adore all of my friends, I'm getting concerned about some of the people in our group and what they bring to the table. When we get together, we have a pretty good system of helping out whoever is hosting us. We usually bring our own drinks and everyone brings food of some sort. None of is loaded, save for Macho Man. So, we don't want hanging out to be a financial burden to our host. Nor do we want one person to have to do all the fucking work. It's worked great for a long time, and there are a handful of us who will always make or bring extra food because, OH MY GOD, WHAT IF WE RUN OUT?

But lately, it seems that people have been slacking. Maybe it's the fault of those of us who always make sure we have entirely too much food. Maybe there's some other reason we're not seeing. I don't really know. What I do know is that half the people last night didn't bring food. And I'm pretty sure the e-mail said that hey, you should bring something because Sweetness is being nice enough to host all of us. Let's not even talk about the people who didn't bring anything or enough to drink (or the people who drank all mine and KayGee's fucking wine at the Super Bowl party).

I'm not the only person who has noticed this, either. So I'm pretty sure I'm not being crazy/a bitch.

Regardless, it was a fantastic night that I got to spend with some of the people I love most in the world. It's a pretty fucking great way to start my birthday celebration.

Tomorrow is shaping up to be a pretty busy day. There is a new yoga class at the gym at 8:30. Also? Law & Order marathon! Happy Birthday to me, indeed. I actually won't get to see much of that, though, because I'm having lunch with my siblings and nephew. Then at 4:00, it's Happy Hour at the Imperial Room. Turns out, there are a lot of people who don't have to work tomorrow, either. So I won't be drinking alone right away. Not that I have a problem with that or anything. I'm drinking alone right now. Unless, of course, the Lord counts as a person. He doesn't? Okay. Then I am drinking alone.

Lucky me, I don't have to work on Tuesday, so I can enjoy the fact that the Imperial Room's Happy Hour on Monday goes all fucking night. Sweet! So, yeah. The Imperial Room, 4:00. You should totally come and get drunk with me. It's not every year I turn 34.

PS: JP, there will totally be a slice of angel food cake waiting for you.

6 comments:

Brian in Mpls said...

Happy Birthdy:) Will these feastivities be going on this Friday too? I want to come!!

PS It is shitty when people don't pitch in but then I just file a mental note of them and delete them from my next party

JP said...

I love Jake Ryan... I was googling him yesterday when I saw that Sixteen Candles was on TV.

I will be stopping by tonight, for a quick one!

Bethando said...

Wish I could come and buy you a shot! I'm not a huge girly shot drinker, but there is one I can never turn down. It's called a Chocolate Cake shot and Oh Boy is it yummy! If you've never had one, do yourself a favor and have one. Or two. Or ten.

http://www.drinksmixer.com/cat/434/

Happy Birthday!

crushthemall said...

Have a fantastic birthday. May all of your wishes come true, and your vomiting be plentiful.

Muffy Willowbrook said...

Happy Birthday Jess! So sorry I missed the party.....

Jess said...

Thanks, y'all!