07 February 2008

This is a new feeling.

Yesterday was National Signing Day. As a Gopher football fan, I never considered it a big news day. Unless you count the news of all the in-state talent leaving Minnesota to go to much better football schools. But that was always pretty much a given.

It seems things have changed, though. The Gophers have one of the top 25 recruiting classes in the nation this year. ESPN has them ranked at number 23. I had to rewind the ESPN ticker during the Carolina/Duke game last night because I was certain I'd read it wrong. Color me even more shocked when I see that SI.com has them ranked 17.

Does this prove that Tim Brewster really is a great recruiter? Um, maybe? Obviously it is entirely too early to tell. It's hard to get excited about the team after the incredible amount of suckitude they displayed last year. But still, there's a glimmer of hope out there on the horizon. Not that I need a glimmer of hope. I actually attended games in undergrad and good Lord, the Gopher football team sucked hard then.

Besides, Tubby Smith has the Gopher basketball team playing pretty well. I'll worry about getting excited over a team that I can legitimately be excited about for now. I still can't watch them, but at least I can be excited about them. Fuck you, Comcast and Big Ten Network and all that.

4 comments:

Muffy Willowbrook said...

Have you gotten "Signed" anywhere?? That's the big question.

I know, I know. It's only been a week. I tease.

Jess said...

*sigh* I wish. But you're right -- it's only been a week.

Patience is a virtue and all that?

Muffy Willowbrook said...

Yes, and someone soon will see just how many damn virtues you have and will pursue the hell out of you.

But make sure your new office has room for a mini-fridge.

Jess said...

God, I hope so.