28 February 2008

It's a rollercoaster ride.

I think I'm doing better than I was earlier in the week. Well, I was yesterday, anyway. The jury is still out on today. I kind of slept like ass last night, so I'm not feeling particularly ... whatever.

Daytime drinking with Mrs. Dirk was beneficial to both of us, I think. We not only talked about the stuff she's going through, but we talked about my craptastic life, as well. I believe I've finally gotten my perspective straight about this whole unemployment thing. It's going to take a while for me to find a new job. I'm hoping it's not much more than three months. That seems to be the standard amount of time for any job search I've ever done. It took The Boy I Currently Like about that long to find his new job just recently.

I mean, I've only been at this a month and I've had four interviews. I have a fifth today and yesterday I scheduled one for the middle of March. Getting such a good response so early on got my hopes up and led me to have some pretty unrealistic expectations. But those expectations have been reeled in, especially since I've been getting timelines from these organizations that are all at least three weeks out.

Christ, I've been involved in the nonprofit and government sectors long enough to know that things never move fast. I know this. Yet, I still have to keep reminding myself. It's hard not to get ahead of yourself when you e-mail your materials to an organization to apply for a job and they call or e-mail within an hour to set something up -- not once, but twice.

I've gotten a really great response -- better than any other job search in my past. The interviews I'm having now are with fairly prestigious and well-known organizations. I keep thinking, "Really? You want to interview me? Are you sure?" So, I should be happy with the way things are going. And I'm trying very hard to be.

In the meantime, I'm going to try very hard to appreciate the fact that I have time to get things done. I'm not rushing constantly. I can go to the gym whenever I want. I can go drinking with my friends during the day. I can sleep in if I wake up in the middle of the night for three hours. I'm getting a decent amount of sleep as it is. I can fuck around in the kitchen. My five-year streak of spending the first two days of the NCAA tournament in front of the TV doesn't look to be in jeopardy. Things could be worse.

5 comments:

Muffy Willowbrook said...

It could be worse, like...

like going through Prohibition while unemployed.

WE'D ALL GO BONKERS.

Jess said...

That would really be awful.

Though, I could maybe have gotten into a lucrative bathtub gin-making career ...

JP said...

OH god the thought of prohibition just send shivers down my spin.. swear to me you will never use that word again!

Muffy Willowbrook said...

Bathtub gin-making career...

Why can't you try that now? I'd buy for sure.

Jess's Jiz Gin"

I like it.

Jess said...

Oh, come on Muffy. You wouldn't have to buy it. Your bathtub gin would be on the house!